Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com

Reply to topic

buzzkill

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 pm   Post subject:  8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com Back to top 

I purchased an 8GB Glacier clone from tinydeal.com so I thought I would write up a small review about this little player.

First off there was the delivery of the package, I have to say that Tinydeal was very fast with the shipping, the package arrived 10 days after I have placed the order and that includes one weekend so thats not bad at all. The player showed up in very good condition in a padded envolope that contained a small brown generic box that held the player and other included items.

Upon opening the box everything was just as I expected, well packed and in perfect condition.

Well the player seemed just like any other actions chip player, the menus along with the music and video playback where all typical, the screen is very bright and much better than my previos Nano clones and it appears to be a very well made Mp4 player, I dropped it from about four feet up on to the hard kitchen floor, it wasn't planned but it happend and the player suffered from no problems afterward and stll worked great. The internal speaker sounds very clear but it's not very loud and I guess you can't expect much from a speaker that size, as always the included earphones are not the best, but they are very usable if needed, they are not very comfortable but the sound was actually better than any of the other ones I have recieved with players in the past. I have been using the clone for a few days now and have no complaints about it yet, except that there is a tiny red dot on the display in the far left corner, you really don't notice it unless you actually look for it.

Well now on to the big question, Is thing thing really an 8GB player?

The first thing I did was the memory hack removal using the disk tool and everything shows up showing a full 8 gig player, but I thought to myself it can't be. I then tried formating with windows and it shows the same thing 7668 MB of free disk space, then I also formatted with a HP removable disk tool with the same results. I still could not beleive that this could be a true 8 gig player so I had two DVD image files that I compressed in Winrar for a total of 6.8 GB and loaded them into the player, I then extracted them from the player to my PC with no problems or errors of any kind.

I still found it hard to beleive that this $50 player was a true 8GB so I decided to open it up and have a look at the memory chip for myself, and to my suprise there where two Hynix 4GB chips in there, WOW!!..

Well in conclusion I have to say that this is the first 8GB actions chip player I have ever seen, and that Tinydeal is a great seller and I will surely be buying more from them, I hope this little review helps a few people out, Thanks

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:51 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, they are pretty great!

I just noticed something, they advertise all players with samsung memory but as you can see with this player, they might actually be using hynix memory in there players.

Also, I wish they shipped players in retail packaging not just a plain box.

Download Post  No rating  
buzzkill

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:15 pm   Post subject:  Re: 8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com Back to top 

Yeah, they did state they are using Samsung memory, but the Hynix chips seem to work fine, the only differance i ever noticed between them and The Samsung is the data transfer always seems to be a little slower with the Hynix chips.

Download Post  No rating  
DrPepper

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:33 pm   Post subject:  Re: 8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com Back to top 

Hey!
You got my Glacier!
Seriously, I ordered a white 8GB Glacier from tinydeal last week, and they emailed me back that they were out of white but could send a black one right away. So I'm getting a black one.
You must have gotten one of (if not) the last white 8GBs, they've taken it off their website. I would prefer black but I already have a white 1GB I could cannibalize for parts if I needed to.
Glaciers seem to be relatively tough little players. Not cutting edge technology, but with a replaceable battery and 8GBs, they will be usable for quite awhile, enjoy!

Download Post  No rating  
bobnova

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:14 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Just ordered one of these (cept in black) for myself.
Their order confirmation page says 2-5 days! I'd be rather shocked if that were true, but it would certainly be nice Very Happy

I'll post a review here once i've gotten it and checked it out.

Thanks for your review buzzkill, it was nice to be able to confirm that this player really is 8GB before plunking down fifty bucks for it.

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I am pretty sure 3-5 days is just the default osCommerce text for the order confirmation page Razz

Download Post  No rating  
bobnova

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:40 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, it shipped today saying up to 20 real days (15 business days).
That sounds a bit more like it Razz

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:58 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

From what I know you should get the package it around 1 weeks time as Registered Air Mail is quite fast.

Download Post  No rating  
DrPepper

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:08 am   Post subject:  Re: 8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com Back to top 

Mine took about 2 weeks to get to me in Florida.

Download Post  No rating  
bobnova

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Mine showed up at the post office on the 17th, pretty much exactly two weeks after i ordered it.
Not bad for something coming from hong kong!

Packaging wise it's exactly the same as the pictures above, so i'm not going to post any pics of it. Only difference is that it's black instead of white.

Functionality wise it's the same as any other amv video player, a bit on the slow side menu wise but not that bad.
Audio quality is good.
Video quality is decent.
It has tetris and minesweeper for games, and much to my amusement when you hit a mine it says "You fail!".
It really does take a nokia cell phone battery, and the battery life seems to be excellent. I charged it fully when i got it and haven't charged it since then. It's seen probably four hours of playing time and is still one notch down from full on the little battery meter.
Beats the hell out of the last one i got (course, that one is dead now... and was hacked).

I put 1.5gb of music on it (entire stash on this computer) and it plays all of 'em, so size wise it's at least more then that, and i haven't run into anything that would suggest it has hackedness issues.

My only gripe with it is that it uses an oddball USB connector, not a stardard mini-usb. That part sucks, don't lose the cable!

A major (IMO) plus over the ipod style ones (which tend to have a standard mini-usb cable, or at least my last one did) is that it has volume control +/- buttons, where the ipod style has a volume button you hit, and then use the left and right arrows to adjust.
I like having direct buttons much better.

If i get brave enough i'll see if mp4player utilities can get the firmware out. Having bricked my last one doing the firmware dance, i'm not especially inclined to muck with it.
(It's 9.1.52, for reference)

Download Post  No rating  
crime_of_heart

Spain
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:41 am   Post subject:  Re: 8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com Back to top 

These players are also HACKED! The thing is, they really have two 32Gb (4GB) Hynix chips on the PCB, but only "one of them" works. When you upload data more than 4GBs, the data is then corrupted after the 4GB limit. When i upload a divx movie for instance, its just corrupted if my player has data around 4GB. It has an Actions chip, so it makes sense not to support 8GB. BE AWARE! (Well its still an OK deal with that price, but you are being cheated anyway!)

Download Post  No rating  
DrPepper

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm   Post subject:  Re: 8GB Glacier clone--Tinydeal.com Back to top 

No, sorry. I got mine from Tinydeal and it has a TRUE 8GBs. The Actions chipset can be, and is usually, hacked, but this one from Tinydeal is not hacked. I have loaded mine all the way up, and everything functions perfectly. Very Happy

Download Post  No rating  
L337
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

Finland
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Wow, I had exatly same player, but my are only 2gb and black :\ .

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic