Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Customer Service - Chinese Style

Reply to topic

herkdrvr

USA US Washington
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 am   Post subject:  Customer Service - Chinese Style Back to top 

I purchased a Gemei X-750 a week ago in Shanghai. Of course, the process of making the purchase, asking all the questions one can imagine about the device prior to purchase, then the negotiation, is always a challenge as I don't speak Chinese and their English didn't extend to discussions of technical specs of MP4 players.

However, I had a problem with the player connecting to my computer and I discovered there was an update to the firmware, but couldn't figure out how to upgrade the firmware. So on my next swing through Shanghai, I headed off to my dealer with my player and my laptop.

The dealer and I fiddled for a few minutes, but he couldn't figure out how to upgrade the firmware. So he made a call and wrote out some Chinese for me (turned out it was an address). Then he said, in his broken English way, that he couldn't upgrade the firmware nor could I. I had to go somewhere else in Shanghai to get it upgraded. A Gemei service center, right?

I struggled for several minutes to understand where this place is located. Shanghai isn't a place where you take a street address and just pop over... you can be just as lost with an address as without. But maybe if I got close I could see some signs or wander about the street showing the address to passers by. Off I went.

I finally found the building. Looked suspiciously like a moderate apartment block. Entering the building, as in entering any apartment building in Shanghai, makes one nervous. Everyone saves electricity by not turning on any lights. So hallways, etc. are all dark. Very spooky. I find the room and it sure doesn't have a sign that says, "Gemei - Welcome".

Turns out, it's the "middle kid" that is peddling MP4 players from his very small apartment! And his "engrish" is worse then the retail guy's. AFter much struggling, pointing, etc., he gets the job done and all is well.

Wow, what an experience! Overall, everyone is nice and when the players work, they work great!

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Lol, at least it all got sorted.

Do you live in China?

Download Post  No rating  
herkdrvr

USA US Washington
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:07 am   Post subject:  Re: Customer Service - Chinese Style Back to top 

Nah, just frequently visit there on business. The place is also a good source for DVD's that I can convert to MP4 useable movies, if you know what I mean!

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:14 am   Post subject:  Re: Customer Service - Chinese Style Back to top 

Awesome, lol can't you get DVD's in China for like $1?

One day, when I eventually visit China I will probably go to Hong Kong, Shenzhen & Guangzhou.

Download Post  No rating  
herkdrvr

USA US Washington
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:29 am   Post subject:  Re: Customer Service - Chinese Style Back to top 

Yup, about right. More $$ in Hong Kong. Don't buy off a street vender, though. Buy your pirate copies from a "reputable" dealer who will make sure you don't get bad copies (filmed in a theater) and will take back one's that don't work. When you go, let me know. Maybe I'll be in the area and we can tip one together!

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:25 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for the offer, but I probably won't be going to China (if I ever go) for say 10 years or so lol.

Download Post  No rating  
herkdrvr

USA US Washington
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:01 am   Post subject: Gniark ! Re: Customer Service - Chinese Style Back to top 

I will say since getting the updated software, I've had no problems with the device. Works great and I recommend it to anyone.

Besides, the entertainment value of trying to find an address in Shanghai can't be overstated.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic