Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone

Reply to topic

RussWWFC

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:33 am   Post subject:  Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Web 2.8" LCD 4GB 4G Touch Screen MP3 MP4 Player PG5-04GD

Just bought one of these on impulse and wondered if anyone had any experience of them

No hacked memory feedback or bad sellers blacklist on here, so that's a good start

Download Post  No rating  
RussWWFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 pm   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Got it today, not bad over the Xmas period at Christmas time.

Just checked it and it's a genuine 4GB - happy to see that

First impressions.

Build quality, fairly solid, doesn't look as if it would take as kindly to being knocked about as my previous 2 players though

Nice Screen, touchscreen works well, good looking theme too. Not tried navigating it though as I've not put any files on it yet.

FM Radio reception is great, far better than anything else I've had including stuff from Sony. Shame it's got no AM though, my favourite station TalkSPORT is on there.

Video plays back well, not DVD quality, but perfectly watchable

Instructions seem to relate to another player, maybe someone out there has the real ones??

Supplied accessories:

Decent set of earphones
Carry Case - looks a bit cheap but feels nice and will protect the player well
USB Cable
Driver CD
And of coure the wrong(?) instructions - complete with the usual dodgy translation

Windows lists this player as RockChip MP3 Player

I'd recommend this so far for what I paid for it, a nice step up from the 1GB I paid 27 for, the 2GB I paid 30 for so 40 for 4GB and a much bigger screen I think is worth it

Download Post  No rating  
BigTymer
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:00 pm   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Just curious, how is the battery life on this? I see it says 1800mAH, just wondering if that equals a long playtime like I've seen mentioned in other places.

I ordered a 8GB version of this player from TinyDeal and I suspect that they and the eBayer you bought off could be the same (the ad is identical, and so is the model numbers used on their site)

Also, how did you verify the 4GB capacity? Is it the same way as doing it on a Action chip player?

Download Post  No rating  
RussWWFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:04 pm   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

I used the same tool that is in the original hacked players thread.

Unsure of battery life - manual claims 4 hours video, 6 hours music

Download Post  No rating  
BigTymer
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:41 pm   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Awesome, thanks for the info and review.

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Just to let you know, this is an Onda clone not an iPod touch clone Smile

Download Post  No rating  
PenPal1999

United Kingdom UK Bedfordshire
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 am   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Hi everyone

Can anyone please help me with this player?

Does anyone know the format of the video it plays? Or if not, does anyone have any video which plays on this player so I can check it with GSpot.

Every video file I try to play gives me 'File Format Error', and only AVI files will display in the menu system of the device. The disk that came with the device and the device itself had a virus (found by Zone-alarm: not.a.virus.xxxx) so I wiped it clean but didn't save the files on it before formatting.

From what I have found on the web, this device should play AVI (mp4 xvid?) but any conversion to this format using virtual dub never works. Tried a few different codecs but none of the are recognised.

If anyone knows the format of the video or the codec, or what software I can use to convert video then please let me know.

I have only just found this website, so I'll do a few checks myself but any help would be appreciated.

----------------------------

On the subject of the player itself (4gb version), I would say it is well worth the money for the mp3 and FM playback alone (eBay 37 inc pp from Hong Kong). I got mine from my Mrs for Christmas and stuffed it full of files.

mp3: Playback is good. Many different sound settings like 3D, Jazz, Rock and so on. And you can even set your own custom setting (5 ranges).
The only problem is that it is not very loud using good earphones and the ones that came with the device are very tinggy.

FM: Good. Scan works and found loads of stations here in the UK. You can also record from the FM but not sure on what format this records too.

Video: Could not get it to work, but sure it's my fault for deleting the default avi on the drive. (please help - see above).

Pictures: A bit of a let-down this. Pictures work fine and every one displayed correctly and look great on the large screen of this device. The major problem is that you cannot zoom in using the device. I always like to put the London underground map as a large photo onto the device but this only works if you can zoom in on it.

I got about 5-6 hours playing mp3 files over Christmas and that includes a bit of time trying to get the mp4 video working. I will buy a 4gb Mini SD card to get it up to 8gb once I get the video working.

Good value device.

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:32 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

For video use the Handheld XviD profile in VirtualDub and encode at 25 fps, if you get slowdowns in the video try 20 fps, use Avisynth to convert the framerate otherwise you'll get "jumps" in the video due to framedrops. Try 320x240 resolution and increase it if you got black bars, on a 2.8 inch screen it might be 352x288.

Good luck!

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
PenPal1999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:17 am   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3 for your feedback.

After going through this website a bit last night, I was able to solve the problem of converting video. Its now working great. I was impressed that the device could play even large files of 600mb+ without any problems.

Just for the record in case anyone else is having problems converting video for this device, I got it to work as follows:

Downloaded: viDrop. This is a great bit of freeware.
The video MUST be converted to 320 x 240!! This is the most important part of the conversion as any other aspect ratio will give you a 'Invalid File Format' error.
Frame rate was set to 22fps
Sound was set to mp2.

After conversion, I checked the file using gSpot (an AVI codec info app) to make sure that the ration was correct. This is because viDrop seems to have a bug when converting WMV files and changed the res to 320 x 180 but this could just be me not totally understanding the app.

-----------

Quick question: Does anyone know what type of sd mini this device uses?
I would like to get a 4gb one but don't know if I should be getting:
4gb Mini SD HC, or the
4gb Mini SD (4g not for mobile phones) version.

Regards

PenPal1999

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

It should be using regular mini SD, i haven't heard of MPx players using SDHC cards yet.

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
BigTymer
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote (View Post): › It should be using regular mini SD, i haven't heard of MPx players using SDHC cards yet.

Was a bit confused after reading this thread, the cap for "regular" miniSD stands at 2GB, correct? Are all miniSD 4GB and over SDHC?

The post above made it sound like there were two types of miniSD 4GB cards floating around -- some miniSDHC and some just miniSD, but that doesn't seem to be the case after googling about this.

Cheapest price I found for a 2GB card was 13.99 w/ free shipping at newegg.com, thinking about going for this for my player (8GB Touch clone) which should be here next week.

EDIT: Wouldn't a 4GB possibly work with updated firmware? It seems like some manufacturers are able to give their older players this ability but some aren't.

Download Post  No rating  
jp
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:53 pm   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

PenPal1999:

Regarding your comment re: 320x180 conversion problem. I've had issues with viDrop not converting to exactly 320x240, too. The solution is to use the following extra mencoder parameters in the box near the bottom of the advanced settings tabbed page. Copy and paste the following:

-vf-add scale=320:240 -vf-add expand=320:240:-1:-1:1

Then drag and drop the files to be converted into the input box on the first tabbed page as normal.

You can save my addition as part of a preset profile of your choice using the preset area at the top of the viDrop window. All the other settings in v0.53 can be activated. These additional commands will override any dimension selections and ensure a 320x240 result.

Download Post  No rating  
PenPal1999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks JP, that works great.

I have finally manage to get viDrop to convert correctly every time using the following settings:

Video.
Codec: xvid
Width: 320
Height: 240
Bitrate: 300
Motion Search Prec.: 4

Audio.
Codec: mp2
SRate: 44100
Bitrate: 128
Extra stereo: YES
Normalize: YES

Resize Method: PanScan

As long as you use these settings, the video will play with the sound at the correct speed.

I'm still waiting for my SDHC to see if it works. I got it from ebay for 11 inc pp. If it does not, I'm sure Ill put it to work in another device.

Does anyone know if photos can be zoomed with a firmware upgrade? And does anyone know what format ebooks this thing takes.

Cheers peeps.

Download Post  No rating  
PenPal1999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Duplicate post ignore...

Last edited by PenPal1999 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
BigTymer
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:59 am   Post subject:  Re: Thoughts on Ipod Touch Clone Back to top 

Any word on how a 4GB miniSD card works in the Onda clone player? I am thinking about buying one online (newegg) but would hate to have to return it.

PS: These players just dropped in price on TinyDeal, the 8GB is now like $86 w/ free shipping, really a good deal (I paid 99.99) The 4GB dropped in price too, I believe.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic