There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

hacked "4, 8Gb" player

Reply to topic

Iridium
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:38 pm   Post subject:  hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

This is to address the problem of memory in chinese players bought primarily on Ebay:

Here is an excerpt from a previous post re: hacked "4 or 8Gb" players:

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:56 pm Post subject: Re: Lost Memory Problem - explained

http://www.mympxplayer.com/viewtopic.php?t=262

Here is a quick clarification :

The issue is BIT versus BYTE. 8 bits=1 byte. (1 Byte of memory is equal to 8 bits of memory).
OK, stay with me.

If a chip is stated as having 1gigaBIT .....(in manufacturer white paper), this is actually equal to 128 true mb. SO....
2 gigaBIT=256mb,
3 gigaBIT=384mb,
4 gigaBIT= 512mb,
8 gigaBIT = 1024mb or 1 true gigaBYTE.
So, you buy a 1gb player from honorable Chinese merchant, you load 1 true gigBYTE of data onto it.
A week later you start playing files past about 119mb and BAM!
The dreaded 'Format error' message....
You reformat w/ windoze, which shows true mb info, and you see you only have 128mb. Files placed on chip up to 119mb play fine. After 119mb, 'Format error' !

You cannot get back something you never had to begin with.

Advice :

1) immediately load mp4 to it's capacity, and play the last files first.
2) if there are errors ( 'format error') on last files, delete them, reload 1 at a time.
3) if there are still errors, save content to HDD, and format using HP format tool
http://www.mympxplayer.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=127
or format utility that came with unit.
4) Do NOT partition player. Ever.
5) read capacity data in tool, and in Windows, and compare to stated capacity in Ad.
6) repeat process to verify.
7) if Windows/ hp format tool indicates less memory than stated in the Ad, notify seller immediately that you have a ' hacked player'. This is a deliberate hack by the manufacturer ( not necessarily by the seller) of the player to show more memory than actually resides on the chip.

There is no way to 'recover' memory that was never there to begin with.

8 ) DEMAND A REFUND! .....Before warranty runs out.

This is the only way to stop the manufacturers from ripping us off. Complain. Loudly. In huge numbers. It will eventually help us all.

"BEER.... IT'S NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE...."

Iridium

Binh,

If you feel this would be appropriate as a ' sticky ' , please feel free.....

Download Post  No rating  
paulm64

USA US California
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:50 pm   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

I found this player on the web. I was going to buy one but after reading this thread I'm kind of hesitant. What do you guys think about this place. Is it real or possibly a hack? Has anybody else boughht one of these from this place?

Thanks, Paul

8GB MP4 player link

Download Post  No rating  
tadad1

New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

paulm64, I still have yet to see any proof that 4GB players actually exist ie Memory chip details and pictures. To achieve 4GB iPod Nano uses 2x2GB chips. Just looked at the page, 8GB for $78.00 it is most likely a hacked chip or 8 gigabit (1GB) not 8 gigabyte. In fact the more I read the more suss it gets.
Touch Sensitive Click Wheel (do not exist in ChiPods)
22+ hours play time (generally around 7-8hrs)
AAA Battery ( about 2mm wider than my 2 ChiPods)
Holds up to 2000 songs ( Then stated only supports 9 Folders 99 files in each = 891)

Paul my advise is to stay away if anything.

If you have been ripped off with a hacked player by a seller submit a report to www.ic3.gov
Download Post  No rating  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:14 pm   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

Ok. I will. Instead I bought a Nanoclone 1GB from Tirgerdirect. So far so good. I loaded about 967MB worth of songs on it and they all play fine. I love this thing. Nice having an FM Radio on it. And I love this site. I've already replaced my firmware with better screens and menus. And was able to recover mine after accidentally killing it once. And it's only been two days! Smile

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:43 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

paulm64

That site looks very dodgy.

It mentions a 2.5" LCD screen as well. Which is very unlikely.

So taking into account, it has 8 Gigs and an expensive 2.5" LCD screen all for only $78.99, it tells me either they're too generous and like making a lost, or are ripping you off with a hacked player and wrong screen size.

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:16 am   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

Paulm64: Do not buy from that site, its full of crap.

I just find a site like that funny, i really wonder how many people buy stuff like that.

Its just like on eBay a lot of people are selling just junk, selling for dirt cheap, i think they're getting away with it as many people never fully load their player, i mean i only have about 300mb worth of songs on my 1GB player, so many people probably don't know they have a hacked player and it'll only be a month or more when they do try to use the max memory and see that somethings wrong, and by that time the seller can just say its passed the time allowed for returns and that the buyer has to deal with the manufacturer to get it changed....which i can tell you from experience, you'll get more of a response by banging your head on the wall.

Becareful, look carefully, know that right now 2GB is the max memory and if the deal sounds too good, it probably is.

Australia AU South Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:35 pm   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

I purchased a 4gb unit from this seller 'eshop3721'. As I have found the unit is a hacked 2gb unit. I contacted the seller and they are acting surprised and offering me a refund on the sale price of the unit. This is not acceptable as half the cost was postage and handling. I have emailed a few other users who purchased the same unit from this seller to inform them of the scam. Ebay would only let me message about 10 users. I have received one reply with the person stating that they have now also found that the unit will corrupt files after the 2gb mark.

Download Post  No rating  
tadad1

New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:55 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hobbsy, Good on you man. This should at least alert others not to trade with 'eshop3721'. How did eBay react to the fack that the seller is ripping people off?

If you have been ripped off with a hacked player by a seller submit a report to www.ic3.gov
Download Post  No rating  
rakesh.cr

India
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I purchased a 2 GB Mp4 player from eBay, and I found that it is a Hacked one with HP tool(Thanks mympxplayer.com), and I reported to seller that it is a hacked one. I am expecting his replay....

Download Post  No rating  
steve ire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:11 pm   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

how it goin i bought one from ebay member lcdguard and it was also hacked tahts for the info mpxplayer i'm starting a claim through ebay dirty rat he cheaged about 50 for postage and 25 for the item so it's going to be a hard battle

Download Post  No rating  
shah

Brunei
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 am   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

I got the 8GB player so it should actually be 1GB right? But after formatting it, I ended up having a 233MB player, meaning it is actually a "2GB" player labelled as 8GB. Double con at one time. Luckily its a gift heheh

Download Post  No rating  
tadad1

New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I reckon if enough of you start hammering eBay some traders may start to feel the pinch.

Download Post  No rating  
goldenballs

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:48 pm   Post subject:  Re: hacked "4, 8Gb" player Back to top 

I emailed mediabsolute (they sell 4gb players on ebay) asking if they could email me a screenshot or something that proves the players are 4gb and asking why there are negative coments saying the players are hacked. This is the response:

''the 4GB player is made by 2 x 2GB sometime one of them corrupt but not often''

Doesn't really help, but I won't be buying one from them.

Download Post  No rating  
Don
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:23 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi folks,
Was recommended this post by someone else who got ripped off.
Have fallen victim to the same as many - bought a 4GB player, cost 55 (majority of cost was postage). The player corrupts very quickly.
I have contacted the seller several times and had no reply. I am now starting a dispute on this.

The text of my dispute is below. Please read and offer comments, hopefully if we work together we can get a watertight complaint text for people to use in the future.

Complaint text for PayPal dispute:

"I paid for this mp3 player which arrived promptly.

However the player has a 2Gb storage capacity, not 4gb as advertised. It has been hacked.

I contacted you twice by 'Messages' and asked for your help, but you have not responded, despite claiming to have done so in your feedback.

Please refund 20 of the purchase price of 50 to reflect the true value of this product."

Download Post  No rating  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:23 am   Post subject:  Deep Sh.. Back to top 

razzer001 wrote (View Post): ›
Paulm64: Do not buy from that site, its full of crap.

I just find a site like that funny, i really wonder how many people buy stuff like that.

Its just like on eBay a lot of people are selling just junk, selling for dirt cheap, i think they're getting away with it as many people never fully load their player, i mean i only have about 300mb worth of songs on my 1GB player, so many people probably don't know they have a hacked player and it'll only be a month or more when they do try to use the max memory and see that somethings wrong, and by that time the seller can just say its passed the time allowed for returns and that the buyer has to deal with the manufacturer to get it changed....which i can tell you from experience, you'll get more of a response by banging your head on the wall.

Becareful, look carefully, know that right now 2GB is the max memory and if the deal sounds too good, it probably is.

Everything looks obvious when you know what to look for.. when you don't you pay the price to get that knowledge

I actually bought several mp3/4 from this site for resale and thought the 2,5" was a typo as they're really 1.5" lcd wich I expected, prices made sense also as those are prices for 100 MOQ and are about 20% lower than ebay's best prices unit prices is similar than Ebay's,

what I didn't expect is that in fact they are hacked memory, interesting thought is that the Bit/byte math does not even apply here as either the 1 GBs and 2GBs are actually 128MB (108MB usable) and the 8GBs are actually 512MB ?? didn't get any 4gb

what had encouraged me to buy with this site is the fact that they accept scrow wich 99.99% of the scammers don't.. so I'm not blaming the seller by now, I had 25 hours to inspect the merchandise before accept it so what I did was ramdonly chose about 5 of each items and download some 200 mb worth of stuff then after a quick navigation trough those files everything seemed fine so I just deleted them and start selling,

I had a few DOA wich was promptly replaced by them with no haslle then about 1 month later "boom" buyers start complaining, and I started to look for answers. sadly we just find sites like this one when is too late
been trying to contact them unsuccesfully since yesterday, if I can't contact them by the end of the week I will be looking for a lawier specialized in consumer rights next week

Can you Guys give me tips on legal advice

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic