Read the rules of this websiteRules
View website statisticsStatistics
See who is online at this time.Online Users
Members of our staffStaff

Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings?

Reply to topic

Superdad289

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:29 pm   Post subject:  Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings? Back to top 

Just wondering why in the Store section of this board there are kinks to Ebay listings of hacked players? I though this group was against such things?

Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:59 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The Ebay adverts would probably gain a bit of revenue to the admin to help pay for web hosting etc.

Ebay must choose random auctions with certain keywords such as MP3 & MP4 Player.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:38 am   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Hi Superdad289,

The script that runs the 'store' link is directl connected to eBay. nzer_4_lyf pretty much hit the nail on the head in saying that it contain certain keywords - "mp4 players". Unfortunately there isn't a filter in the script to filter out sellers of hacked players etc... I think I will end up removing that anyway as you are right Superdad289, this site is totally AGAINST the selling of hacked players.

The two main reasons for us having the "store" link was:

1. It was hoped to provide relevant links to other MP4 players so for members who want to 'upgrade' or get another player, can look through what eBay had without leaving the site.

2. The other reason was to help pay for the hosting of this site. This site is fully funded by myself and advertising revenue. It is a completely FREE site for everyone to use and share information. The only down is, the site is so popular I have to pay for TWO DEDICATED servers to host the site. Unfortunately that's at a cost. Any extra revenue, we put towards prizes for members.

Hope that explains things.

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
nzer_4_lyf
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Lol every member of this website should donate $1 per year- that would help you a lot with webhosting fees & prizes etc.

Download Post  No rating  
Superdad289

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:57 am   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Thanks, that does explain a lot.

I was just browsing the site looking for trusted places to possibly purchase a player from I saw the store tab.. to my great surprise there is a link to the seller I am currently battling with after receiving a hacked player..

Download Post  No rating  
ashley_rb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

nzer_4_lyf wrote (View Post): › Lol every member of this website should donate $1 per year- that would help you a lot with webhosting fees & prizes etc.

I would rather give my money to someone like the guy on eBay telling people about hacked memory. He has no ads, no sponsers, and there is no HP, eBay or Uxcell ads. He has no one. All he has is seventy five cents from the guide he lists and that money goes to pay for new listings.

And now he is going up against eBay. He wants eBay to start a anti hack policy. This guy is all by himself going up against eBay to make a real change in eBay and put an end to the scam. And his big sponser to pay his bills? No one.

I would rather financially support someone like that.

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Superdad289 wrote (View Post): › Thanks, that does explain a lot.

I was just browsing the site looking for trusted places to possibly purchase a player from I saw the store tab.. to my great surprise there is a link to the seller I am currently battling with after receiving a hacked player..

Hi, there are two stores that have forums here: House of DAP and UXCell. They are two trusted sellers. MP4Nation is also another one. Razzer001 runs that site and posts here quite often. He has a variety of players. A seller I have personally had good luck with is JTC Electronics, but he only sells branded players such as Meizu and Telcast.

Check out the Bad sellers/Blacklist forum. There is a White List thread with some sellers listed.

Welcome to the board.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
Superdad289

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:54 pm   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Thanks for the welcome.

I did buy on ebay the hack guide from the seller you mentioned and have been chatting with him about my recent hacked purchase. He has been extremely helpful. There is a link to this site in his guide which was how I found it. Maybe he posts here?

As for fighting ebay, that, I think is an uphill battle. I recently sent them an e-mail regarding my battle with a hack seller and they basically responded with "Well that is what you get for buying fake I-pods from China". They are of the opinion that we get what we deserve. I doubt they will ban the listings as it is revenue for them.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:18 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

ashley_rb wrote (View Post): ›
I would rather give my money to someone like the guy on eBay telling people about hacked memory. He has no ads, no sponsers, and there is no HP, eBay or Uxcell ads. He has no one. All he has is seventy five cents from the guide he lists and that money goes to pay for new listings.

And now he is going up against eBay. He wants eBay to start a anti hack policy. This guy is all by himself going up against eBay to make a real change in eBay and put an end to the scam. And his big sponser to pay his bills? No one.

I would rather financially support someone like that.

The difference between MyMPxPlayer.org and the guy telling everyone about the hacked players on eBay is that we both different causes. This site is aimed at providing users of MP3/MP4 players with support and resources for their player, while his cause is to tell people about hacked players.

Also, remember that he doesn't host anything, eBay does. Ebay pays for the hosting and running of the site which he lists his auctions. He gets charged a small fee for the listing and successful purchase. I have to pay for TWO DEDICATED servers to run this site. We pay over USD$300 per month for hosting! Even more depending on how much bandwidth is used by everyone downloading tools, firmware etc..... This is a constant. I pay for this every month to have the site running.

Add on top of that the day to day running of the site by responding to posts, checking uploaded files, providing support etc.. All this takes time. So it's not just the actual cost value, but also the labour/time that is involved with maintaining the site. I don't know much time the other guys spends listing and relisting auctions to tell everyone about the hacked players.

One last thing is we have NEVER asked anyone for any payment to access this site or information on it. This is a freely available site. The ads are there to support the running cost of the site (mainly hosting) as it's being quite expensive to fund the site myself. I don't intend to ask anyone for payment to access information on this site, ever. I wished I was rich enough so this site has the fastest server to run this site and have no ads on it. Also the ads on the site is hoped to provide additional resources as well which might be helpful to other users (such as ads from UXcell for example which provide MP4 players).

I think some points have been mentioned so I will remove the "Store" link from this site.

Hope this explains things alittle more as well.

Download Post  No rating  
Superdad289

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:49 pm   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

I apologize, I certainly didn't mean to remove a source of income for the site by raising this topic... If there was only a way to screen the items listed there it would be perfect, but it seems E-bay is riddled with hacked players and E-bay doesn't care. There are just too many to screen them all....

Download Post  No rating  
ashley_rb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:14 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

admin wrote (View Post): › The difference between MyMPxPlayer.org and the guy telling everyone about the hacked players on eBay is that we both different causes. This site is aimed at providing users of MP3/MP4 players with support and resources for their player, while his cause is to tell people about hacked players.

This statement has to be one of the most upsetting things I have ever read. You strongly suggest he gives no support or resources at all, while this site is all about just that, but the guy on ebay, "his cause is to tell people about hacked players."

You have ABSOLUTELY no idea who he is or what he is doing. The amount of support and resources he gives to people asking him questions and looking for help a day is huge.

Thank God he doesn't have to read your post.

What you strongly implied about him just telling people about hacked players and not giving support or resources, like your forums aim is, was aweful. If he was a member I would say you owe him an apology.

aweful

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 am   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Hi ashley_rb,

That comment is only a vague, summarised statement as I don't know the person personally and based on the .

I have seen two eBay sellers warning others about hacked players. I have even made three purchases from one of them to support their cause - "robjones555". I based my comments on my purchase from robjones555. After my purchase, he sent me the information and has links to our site. Information which this site also has as well.

So, it seems we are talking about different eBay sellers. So yes, I have no idea who he is in this case. From your comments, he seems like a brilliant guy and I take my hat off to congratulate him for what he has done. I would love to have a link to him from this site. So, if you have more information, please send me or post it here. The more the better.

Can you send me more information about who the person is?

When you say "What you strongly implied about him just telling people about hacked players and not giving support or resources, like your forums aim is, was aweful." - I don't see it being that 'awful' as it sounds. There was no mentioning in my previous comment of him "not giving support or resources". It was a comment that, based on my past experience with one of the eBay sellers doing the memory hack listings, he cause was to tell others about the memory hack and warn them about it. There was mention that he does give support or resources like this forum aims at.

I think he/she sounds like they are doing a great job and someone that I would also like to support. So, by all means, please share some information about this person and I'll put in the [Links] page so others are aware and know about this.

Thanks for bringing this up to my attention and I take my comment back about the eBay seller as I was under the misconception that it was another eBay seller altogether.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 am   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

ashley_rb,

I just did a search and found eBay seller "hackedmemoryscam".

Is this the same person you are referring to?

The website has a lot of information and after purchasing the guide, I found there is a lot of helpful information in there as well. There is also a mention and link to this website within the guide as well.

Here is the link to the website as well: The Hacked Memory Scam Guide.

I will email the seller and ask to put a link to it on our site.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:35 am   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Superdad289 wrote (View Post): › I apologize, I certainly didn't mean to remove a source of income for the site by raising this topic... If there was only a way to screen the items listed there it would be perfect, but it seems E-bay is riddled with hacked players and E-bay doesn't care. There are just too many to screen them all....

Hi Superdad289,

No need to apologise, it's good to have a healthy discussion. Also, in the past a similar comment has come about too but concerning the eBay links on the left hand side menu bar. I have managed to filter that. However, the "stores" script can't be changed, so it's best to stop it altogether to avoid other members from buying from a seller selling hacked players.

Download Post  No rating  
Superdad289

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:16 am   Post subject:  Re: Links in the "Store" to hacked player listings Back to top 

Admin

admin wrote (View Post): ›
ashley_rb,

The website has a lot of information and after purchasing the guide, I found there is a lot of helpful information in there as well. There is also a mention and link to this website within the guide as well.

Here is the link to the website as well: The Hacked Memory Scam Guide.

I will email the seller and ask to put a link to it on our site.

This is exactly the guy I was talking about when I brought it up. He has been extremely helpful, and I have been keeping him posted of my steps with my fight to get my money back from a hacked player purchase. If you could get him involved with this site I think it would be a smart move.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic