Okay, read up.
I've been messing around with my player's firmware again tonight, and i happened to stumble upon this package.
I tried it out, and to my surprise, it had a new version of the Sigmatel update tool inside, and a different type of firmware.
I flashed my player with this firmware, and surprisingly, it worked as a flash drive. Nothing else though, so i then proceeded to reflash my backup, but when i gave the files to the new update program, it got hung.
The version i previously downloaded from this site didn't work either. But fortunately, i had another older version of the Sigmatel updater i had found on the net, which worked and my player is now once again alive and kicking.
A quick look at the new firmware reveals nothing but more trouble for people with dead devices. The new firmware is split up in six
different files instead of four
. Also, it has a different naming scheme on the USB driver, which is now hostlink.sb
instead of usbmsc.sb
Bottom line is, if your firmware contains usbmsc.sb
, it is to be flashed with one of the older versions of the Sigmatel updater (one of which can be found on this site), if it contains hostlink.sb
, it has to be flashed with the version provided in the package above.
I gotta update the Sigmatel recovery guide too, but i'm too tired to do so now so i'll do it tomorrow.
Later edit: Okay, the guide
has been updated too.