There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availability

Reply to topic

knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:57 pm   Post subject:  NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availability Back to top 

Just have a look at this player, I was just starting to get interested in the new Actions AJT2135 and now this has come along. Smile

here's the spec:-

RAmos RM970
Capacity: 2GB [flash]
Display: 3-inch TFT LCD 480 x 272 pixels
Playback formats: MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, AAC, APE, AVI, RM, RMVB, JPG
all this and album art too.

Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

yep

i have see this and it looks awesome, it is based on the new chip series from rockchip (27XX series) some specs of the chip (not necessarily the player) below:

dual-core ARM + DSP
AVI (XVID, DIVX), WMV, RMVB maximum support to D1 (720 * 480)
support Flash animation
RA, ACC audio formats support
the introduction of a new music media library functions
user-friendly management of a large number of music files
support DC / DV, Bluetooth
16 games
MiniOS embedded operating system
the development of personalized UI ( Photo superposition, perspective, fade out, and other effects) - animated and flashy interface basically
HD Radio 或
DAB
GPS
mobile TV function.

this is direct from rockchip site - and it sounds seriously impressive, dont know how much of this will be implemented in the RAmos device but it has some serious potential

source
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=zh%7Cen&u=http://www.rock-chips.com/shownews.asp%3Fid%3D120

this chip maybe the reason why the new actions chip is not taking off so well with manufacturers. if this is all its cracked up to be then Actions need to go back to the drawing board. Although Actions do have more new chips on the way that are supposedly running Linux and support larger screens and more PMP functionality

even so, looks like the next few months could hold some very interesting developments

BTW - would not rush to get a player based on the new actions chip - it is good and has potential but it just does not quite make it, needs more development and a few bugs sorting.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:06 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Looks nice guys.

Has anyone been able to source a seller of these?

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:13 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

not in production yet

prototype only - MP4nation is now looking to sell RAmos players and i am sure he will be getting this when it arrives
Only problem i have with RAmos is they only seem to make players up to 2GB

i think also that Teclast are looking at this new chip and are developing an Mseries of players but noe pics or players yet to look at - only web talk and speculation

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:01 pm   Post subject:  Re: NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availabilit Back to top 

Yes I think this RK27xx will be in the same arena as the Actions AJT2137 with it's embedded Linux.

Quote: › MiniOS embedded operating system
the development of personalized UI

This would be quite good as I hope it would mean users could get involved in the firmware development.
I think the Chinese are making great hardware, but their firmware isn't quite up to scratch to say the least, and is often abandoned too quickly.

I think the big problem area is playlist inplementation as it involves the player creating some sort of database, and obviously this gets stored on the flash somewhere, with all the problems this brings. (read/write speed different flash types etc.)

That's why players that have playlist sometimes hang, even big brand name players often have problems in this area.

I think I'm just gonna get another (cheap) Rockchip to satisfy my addiction over the xmas period and hold out for one of these newer embedded os players into next year.

Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:58 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

RAmos is making a big push into the high end and more innovative MP4 market.

They already have a reputation for making quality players with good UI's, but now they seem to be developing players to actually compete with mainstream players (iPod, Sansa, Yepp).

You should check out their V80, they are collaborating with Microsoft to implement Microsoft's Wind system - its a touch screen interface built on Windows CE and it has features like cover flow and stuff. The RAmos V80 is the first (but not the last) of Chinese MP4 players to use this.

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The RAmos RM970 is now available from Mp4 Nation

http://www.mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85

Hell, It's tempting...

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

knob wrote (View Post): ›
The RAmos RM970 is now available from Mp4 Nation

http://www.mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85

Hell, It's tempting...

yes- very tempting - hoping raz will do some form of vid review soon and full spec soon

4gb price is very tempting as long as we have some form of cataloging system and what about album art - hope so

Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:30 pm   Post subject:  Re: NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availabilit Back to top 

will have a video review of the player later today posted in the reviews section of this forum. Basically the player is really nice, audio is great, video is good, but not as good as the V2000SE that uses the JX4740 chip, firmware is buggy. I am sure the player will improve with firmware updates. Overall good player, very impressed with the new chip

My short review:

So i finally picked up some of these players, but i still haven't got the larger order in yet (so the first ones that ordered are gonna be getting these soon).

The player looks nice, has a nice 3.0" ltps screen, videos and images look really good on this. The user interface is pretty straightforward, in fact i was somewhat taken back how the layout reminded me of how players using the new Action chipset have thier UI's look. The new Rockchip does out perform the new ATJ2135 both in audio and video performance, but i think the new JZ4740 (V2000SE) out performs the RK2706 chip in video playback. I am, however, considering this is a Rockchip player, pretty blown away at the audio quality.

Audio quality is really impressive, the rockchip RK2706 chip can really chrun our the audio. It can sort music by album, artist, title etc theres also a section called 'my favorites' i don't know yet if this means like a playlist, as i didn't really see any way to mark audio files as a 'favourite'.

Videos play good, but i was expecting better, RMVB play smooth, but for the first 20secs of every clip it plays very clippy and audio is out of sync, after the first 20secs, its fine. AVI files played fine, full 30fps, didn't see any lip sync issues, but then again the clip was only 5minutes long. You can fast forward and rewind pretty fast and in both AVI and RMVB the files stayed in sync with the audio. However this is no resume play Sad

There are some firmware bugs, i think the player will be really good after a firmware releases but right now you will see some buggy stuff. I thought video p0layback would have been better (although i think it may be a firmware issue again), IMO the new V2000SE is a better video player and this is a better audio player.

Again this player just came out, so expect improvements with time, especially as more companies start using this chip, i am sure Rockchip will introduce more firmware updates to fully utilize the new chipset.

So those considering to buy this: do so if you are comfortable understanding that the firmware isn't perfect and that you will need to update it when firmware releases come out for those bugs to go away.

I can't to see what new firmware releases do to improve the video playback (which is still good but not as good as the JZ4740 chip).

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

video review of the RAmos RM970 - pretty sweet, the screen is really nice on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6UikBH9EbA

Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

not that I like to be nerd, but it does not sound (or look) impressive - where is finally support of SDHC memory cards and text-to-speech engine as available in other players? C'mon Rockchip! Smile

Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:36 am   Post subject:  Re: NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availabilit Back to top 

It look impressive and surely plays impressive too. At least support more video formats and all audio formats available. There is some references to AAC code!!??... which is not even supported in latest versions of iTunes!! AAC seems to be defunct, instead is been used M4A.

I've been confirmed that this of dual core it's not so, it's just RK2706 + Wolfson. It seems that references to ARM7 are due that inside of RK chip there is indeed such processor. RK chips have always had a processor inside, probably an ARM.
When is announced a dual core processor user can think in a very impressive player with lots of capabilities, but it's not the case of Ramos RM970.

For instance it doesn't support NES games for the moment, as it has appear in some publications.
It has a big drawback which is NO FM radio and still RK is not showing cover art... shows a pretty CD running instead Smile

Software is alike to the last version installed in Teclast C260 (RK2606) and is still very primitive and buggy, strangely very similar to ATJ2135. Anyway is more than usual Rockchip software.

This version of RK chip, therefore RM970, support PlayFX which is excellent, especially when is combined with Wolfson DAC. I do have this combination in my Onda VX858 but with older version of RK and Wolfson.

But this Ramos RM970 is according with Youtube video still a simple Rockchip software mounted on a very good machine. IMHO ATJ2135 being a more cheap and buggy software have more features and functionalities, now compared with Cowon D2 (which support Flash in a couple of ways) is really primitive. I mention flash becasue is listed by Rockchip publication.

Anyway we are talking of a player that will cost less than US$ 100.- which is not bad.

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 pm   Post subject:  Re: NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availabilit Back to top 

Another RK2706 player is on the way, the Teclast M30.
It appears to include the wolfson (WM8987G) audio processor too.

http://www.teclast.com/zhuanti/m30/canshu.html

It also appears to have an FM radio which should please many.

Regarding album art on the RAmos 970 maybe you need to copy a small .jpg
into the music directory? maybe someone who has one of these players could try this and let us know? something like album.jpg or folder.jpg may work, I suspect that this player doesn't support embedded album art but needs a seperate .jpg file. (or a firmware update?)

Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:18 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

will have my Ramos RM970 next week - yes i succumbed and the urge got me - will be ostig a review and there is already a firmware update available - so hopefully there will be more support than fopr mau Ainol v900

knob
what has happend to the actions chip 2135 - seems to have droped of the face of the planet??

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm   Post subject:  Re: NEW rockchip player (Rockchip RK27xx series) availabilit Back to top 

Quote: › what has happend to the actions chip 2135 -

Dunno, I'd been hoping for more info on the 2137, I was thinking along the lines of embedded Linux OS, so no need to ever flash firmware again, just drag and drop the firmware on to flash card sort of. Wink

I fact I thought that it might be possible to have a couple of removable MiniSD cards each with a different firmware loaded and the embedded OS could boot one or the other! Shocked

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic