There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Where are all the mp4 retailers?

Reply to topic

Amigajoe
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:16 am   Post subject:  Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

I've noticed that doing a search for 'mp4' brings up many review and news sites, plenty of 'wholesale' and manufacturer sites, but precious few people actually selling these things to the general public. I can't find even 10 separate places selling individual players. The Chinese factories seems to be cranking these things out by the shipload, where the hell are they all going?! I know you can't find them in retail stores here in the states, how about overseas? Is it mostly an Asian thing?

Download Post  No rating  
lattesurf
Valued Member
Valued Member

Australia AU South Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:50 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I guess most reputable retail stores do not simply bring in such players unless they are of reasonable quality (which remains to be seen), and generate good profits (which is very likely so).

I'm not very sure about the States, but here in Australia, some large retailers like K-mart, Target, etc, do retail such players. They are simply rebranded players going by all sorts of names but all running off the Actions/Rockchip/Sigmatel/Sunplus chipsets. Of course the prices are "Recommended Retail Prices" which usually costs double the price you'll pay for via ebay.

I've seen some posts of other members and also on youtube, buying such players from Shenzhen, China. Where it is a large shopping complex with practically every shop selling such players.

Perhaps most of these players make their way to such shops, and for those wanting a better profit would be selling via ebay.

T39 doesn''t sound as good as my T29
Download Post  No rating  
Amigajoe
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:56 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well in a way that's actually a good thing. It means the market is still wide open here. Wink. Good news for me. Hopefully I'll be expanding beyond the flea-market route before long.

Download Post  No rating  
geostar
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:32 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

put \"geostar\" as your referal
Download Post  No rating  
Amigajoe
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:03 pm   Post subject:  Re: Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

Yes, I find all those too, geostar(Ok, all but 1 Wink ). Took awhile though, and most are in the UK (and not Asia?). It really just emphasizes how relatively few there are. They must be doing a heck of a business! If I have my way there'll be another one on that list, me! ;-0
I always liked 'MP4less'

Download Post  No rating  
ashley_rb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:47 pm   Post subject:  Re: Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

There are not alot of retailers, espiecally on ebay, that is honest sellers. Wtih so many scams going on against sellers most of the honest ones retailing cloned players are gone.

In the next few weeks, ebay is loosing a huge honest seller. He's packing it in. He was the best! Its a huge loss. He's either started or is starting soon auctioning off his stock. I haven't checked yet. Its so sad. He was the best. He would have made a great sponser here.

My friend emailed me yesterday with the email he sent out. I got the email this morning. He's contacting all the past buyers to tell them that the warranties and guarantee's will stay in place and how to contact him. It is so sad to be loosing him. After he leaves I won't be shopping on eBay for a player, and for me, I've had it with cloned players.

There are so few good cloned players left coming out of china that the rule is quickly becoming - don't buy any cloned player or a cloned player that has been branded - no acceptions - the rule is becoming No Clones.

At one time a good cloned player offered buyers a great option at a great price. Not now. If you buy a clone, expect problems and hassels regardless of where you buy it. The players coming out of china are garbage.

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:02 pm   Post subject:  Re: Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

Quote: › don't buy any cloned player or a cloned player that has been branded - no acceptions - the rule is becoming No Clones.

I'm inclined to agree with that, If you avoid buying anything that looks like an ipod you are less likely to have any problems. Exclamation

I really can't understand why folks are so hell bent on getting a player that looks like a ipod anyway. Wink

p.s. another seller to add to the list:-
http://www.climaxdigital.co.uk/epages/Store2.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store2.Shop2153
(this one's also in the UK I'm afraid)

Download Post  No rating  
Amigajoe
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:19 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well, if you check the wholesale list I uploaded, you'll see clones as well as non-clone players. The question remains the same: Who is selling them? Where are they going? Shenszen must put out 10's of thousands of these things a week, SOMEBODY must be buying them! I guess the majority go through ebay, which, as you've pointed out, is full of unscrupulous sellers. You'll find that type anywhere theres' $$ to be made, but ebay makes it so much easier and safer to be a crook.

Download Post  No rating  
mastershake916

USA US California
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 pm   Post subject:  Re: Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

I'm gonna buy one from this place:
http://www.dealextreme.com/

Well a big electronics store (big store, small chain), Fry's, sells some mp4 players, I remember a fake nano, as well as cheap mp3 players. I believe they buy wholesale. Also, I think I recognized one at target that I had seen at Fry's, at target, it only had 512MB while costing about twice as much as the 2GB one at Fry's.
EDIT: this is it, now it's 4GB and maybe a little more expensive.

Download Post  No rating  
Amigajoe
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Maryland
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yes, they seem to have some pretty good deals over there, Shake. And $90 for a 4GB 2.4" isn't bad! Thing is there are so many different models of these things being made (one email I got said 4000!)and nobody has more thsn a few. You could fill an entire store with 'em. I just wonder where they are going...

Download Post  No rating  
mastershake916

USA US California
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:44 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think that a lot of them are being sold by small venders in markets in China, Hong Kong, etc.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:28 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I know some retailers are starting to stock them here in New Zealand.

The biggest hold back was that a lot were the 'Nano-Clones' that the retailers I think were scared they would get in trouble from Apple if they stock them.

There are heaps on NZ auction sites but only in the last year I've seen them advertised in flyers and stores stocking them. The price is about 150%-200% mark up though!

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
mastershake916

USA US California
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

admin wrote (View Post): › The price is about 150%-200% mark up though!

On that note, does anyone here sell mp4 players? Maybe after buying a new one?

Download Post  No rating  
Amigajoe
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm   Post subject:  Re: Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

Boy have YOU not been paying attention!Wink I started selling them a few months ago, buying 5-6 at a time on eBay. I was doing very good as far as sales but not making alot of money; my markup was too low. I wasn't sure what people would pay so I only charged $10-20 bucks above what I paid. After awhile I started raising prices and to my delight they still sold. So I got more ambitious and decided to try buying a wholesale lot, that's where YZ Digital comes in to the picture. I got their wholesale list, which I posted in the Downloads section, and placed an order for 20 pcs this wknd. Hope to have them in a few days. I got some Nano II's and III's, some iPhone style, some game players (slide) and some 2.8"s. Hope to have them in a few days and I'll post some reviews and pix. Of course Board members will get the 'Friends & Family' discount. Wink If they're interested. Also, I think someone on this board is associated with MP4Nation.com, you can check them out right now...

Download Post  No rating  
mastershake916

USA US California
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:10 pm   Post subject:  Re: Where are all the mp4 retailers? Back to top 

Amigajoe wrote (View Post): › Boy have YOU not been paying attention!Wink I started selling them a few months ago, buying 5-6 at a time on eBay. I was doing very good as far as sales but not making alot of money; my markup was too low. I wasn't sure what people would pay so I only charged $10-20 bucks above what I paid. After awhile I started raising prices and to my delight they still sold. So I got more ambitious and decided to try buying a wholesale lot, that's where YZ Digital comes in to the picture. I got their wholesale list, which I posted in the Downloads section, and placed an order for 20 pcs this wknd. Hope to have them in a few days. I got some Nano II's and III's, some iPhone style, some game players (slide) and some 2.8"s. Hope to have them in a few days and I'll post some reviews and pix. Of course Board members will get the 'Friends & Family' discount. Wink If they're interested. Also, I think someone on this board is associated with MP4Nation.com, you can check them out right now...

Let me know how it goes, I'm pretty new on here but I might want to get into it a little later.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic