There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Rock

Reply to topic

DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:46 am   Post subject: Oh yes ! Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Rock Back to top 

I am taking advantage of this picture post by our member iixorbiusii to share with this community a very extraordinary player... I do buy it yesterday because I was really impressed by its low price and amazing software.

Externally is the same device but mine is white. It has the same earphone jack on top of the right side, the slot for mini SD a bit below (which appear half open in the picture... as it will be all the time when a card are inserted Smile... no way to close it)... it has also a couple of useful key on top to manage volume. On the bottom it can be seen the key ON/OFF and the USB port... in a very annoying place... anyway not big problem.

Screen is 2.4 inches with a resolution of 320x240 in 262k colours. Buttons as it can be seen are the same of any chIpod but turned right to keep the player in horizontal way.

Until now everything is identical except that mine is White and iixorbiusii's is Black... but there is another small detail: iixorbiusii's is Rockchip... mine is Action chipset driven!!!

Iíll do soon a review of this player as it has the best software Iíve seen in a MP4 player until now.

For the moment I show all here that the same player can have different chips. Razzer001 could tell us how this can happend as both player are offered in mp4nation.

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:16 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Daremo.

Are you sure this is Actions chipset? This player looks like a Rockchip player to me. Rolling Eyes
Can you display the firmware version? or can you show a photograph of the insides? Rolling Eyes
I can't believe this is actions based. Wink

Download Post  No rating  
crazy.neo
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

Portugal
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:47 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

knob wrote (View Post): › Daremo.

Are you sure this is Actions chipset? This player looks like a Rockchip player to me. Rolling Eyes
Can you display the firmware version? or can you show a photograph of the insides? Rolling Eyes
I can't believe this is actions based. Wink

Well... it isn't... This is a Rockchip chipset... The other one he has is the Action one...

Download Post  No rating  
iixorbiusii
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:18 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Weird! I hope to find out more from Daremos !!

I originally 'billed' this player as the Optimus Cosmic - when I came across MP4Nation and saw it on their site, that's where I got the name from.

However, mine came from one of those random sellers on Ebay, and not from MP4Nation. I have since discovered that the 'Optimus Cosmic' name is in fact unique to MP4Nation, so mine is just an unbranded thing (a bloody good one though!)

For interest here, below is the inside of my player (the actual one showed by Daremos above). I have actually since snapped off the annoying sticking out bit which covers the minisd slot, and replaced the battery for a 850mAh one (the original shown here only gave around an hour of movie playing and the new one gives nearer 3 hours).

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:12 pm   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

First I have to say thanks for open your player... I wouldn't open mine Smile

When i saw this player offered in a local supermarket I recall your player due to this horizontal position with buttons located at the right. I did asked to be shown because price was affordable for a 2.4" screen of 1 Gb (about US$ 45.-). Beside of that it claimed support for lots of audio formats and AVI (xvid) video.

I was surprised that instead of the usual rockchip firmware which i know so well, I found a very developed software with lots of functions not available in usual rockchip.
Options in menu are 10: Music, Photos, Video, Record, FM, E-book, Games, Tools, Data Exchange and Settings.
Tools is not available in your device and is comprised of Stopwatch, Calculator and Calendar
Data Exchange is a function that its only purpose is to transfer files between Flash memory and mini SD card.

The player doesn't have Browser, instead of that in any of the options which needs to read from folders there is an option named "Dir list" that address to folders and files in the Flash memory or mini SD card.

Another surprise was the parameters for video playback which are of a resolution of 320x240 at 30 fps which is real, as both samples were encoded with that values and I encoded a couple more which played without any out-of-sync issue. Audio for video is MP3 not MP2. I checked quality of video comparing it with my Teclast and Onda, and I have no doubt is showing 262K colours.

Among the setting is Data and Hour that is shown all the time in upper bar in a strange notation as it is 2007Y10M14D for today, also show the time.

When the user enters in Music option appears a list of another options which are: Now Playing, All Music, Artist, Album, Genre, My Music List, Dir List, Record List, My Music Tag List and Level. This show a good managing of ID3 tag, taht really works.
After transferring of files from PC, when USB is unplugged, a process of update files is triggered to prepare song based on ID3 tag.

When a song is being played pressing Menu appears another menu with more functions, as it is: Rep, EQ, Replay time, Replay Gap, A-B, Tempo Rate, Remove, Add to MyList, Information, Add Tag, Fade In/Fade Out and Volume. Most of tne customizable values, it can be set the gap between a song and another in Replay Gap.

When is selected EQ appear common equalization features: Natural, Rock, Pop, Classic, Jazz, DBB plus SRS WOWWHD.
This last option have a couple more: SRS WOW, SRS WOWHD and User mode.
User Mode leads to another menu to put values to SRS 3D, TruBass, Focus, Center, Definition, Speaker Size and Limiter.... geeeez!! Smile

Information of a song are impressive complete, but I wont describe her Smile

Concerning firmware information its version is 13.00.10.1012 which I don't know what this means.

I've write all above, which is a small part of the lots of other menus and option that can be accessed, to show that this is in no way a rockchip device and that this software is by far the most complete of all firmwares I've seen in an MP4.

Concerning quality of sound I have to say that is average not being as good as Meizu, Teclast or Onda... it sound almost the same as an iPod Very Happy a bit better... anyway I haven't yet used any sort of equalization, which surely would improve its quality especially if SRS is used.

I am still discovering all the goodies of the excellent Action player... it's really exciting though Laughing Laughing Laughing

A Youtube clip of a similar player can be seen here ----> Foston FS-74

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:44 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Wow.Exclamation Any chance of some photos?? Your player certainly has a host of features not currently in the Rockchips! If yours looks identical to mine apart from the colour, then perhaps the cases are now being made available to different manufacturers.

Perhaps I'd better stop dissin' Action players - these new ones, at least!

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:53 am   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

Daremo
I suppose you are not "pulling our legs" on this one. Very Happy

How can you be sure this player is Actions? did it say so on the box?, did you get a cd with the player?, if so what was on the cd?, could it be another chipset? or just a Rockchip with a new firmware? Rolling Eyes
Please give us some more info, we MPx junkies are getting all excited about this. Very Happy

If this really is an Actions player then it's not Actions as we know it.. Shocked

Download Post  No rating  
geostar
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:35 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

it might be some weird mutant cross between actions and rockchip. LoL

put \"geostar\" as your referal
Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:08 am   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

knob wrote (View Post): › Daremo
I suppose you are not "pulling our legs" on this one. Very Happy

I should have had a lot of imagination Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I miss to mention that this software is fully multitasking Shocked AFAIK in rockchip players it can't be playing music while are watching photos. In this firmware it's possible. Due to that in every function if MENU button is kept pressed, appears a black sub-menu to the right showing option "volume" to control it from anywhere with the useful couple of keys in the upper border... iixorbiussi for what are used those keys in your rockchip device?

Anyway take a look to the clip I enclosed you... in minutes 00:55 is shown the screen for "Now Playing".
Later is shown in details a screen used for display photos called "File List mode" where appears in a row the file name of photo and a thumbnail on the right. Also photos can be shown just a matrix of thumbnails.
You will think I am a just a liar but in "Photo" sub menu option is another set of options the shows the following: Remove, Rotate, Zoom, Information and Volume.
Rotate: Rotate 90 degrees, Rotate 180 degrees, Rotate 270 degrees.
Information: File Name, Resolution, File Size and Created Date.

It's an Action because when it's switched POWER ON appears the well know hourglass.

I've tried to extract the firmware with S1fwx and of course it didn't work but blocked USB port and spoiled flash memory, deleting all files because it put device in upgrade mode after showing 9.0.48... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy... I get a bit in panic thinking in change the device once more time... I recall that in setting there is an option "format memory" and "format card".
So i did format memory and it was restored to its 1Gb with several folders created by default: MUSIC, RECORD, NES, PLAYLIST, TXT, VIDEO, PICTURE. I wonder what this NES folder is... maybe it also have a NES emulator??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.

Gosh!!... this is really an awesome piece of software... during the day I will take some photos.

PS.: I have a backup of firmware taken from a Brazilian site. Size of module is really big (16.639 kb) here is what it show in the file FS74-13.00.10.1012.fwu <--- a strange extension.

PS2: Knob... Concerning Chinese characters in RKLogoEdit... I've found a way to run Chinese software in windows XP without problems. No needing to translate Chinese into Roman (or whatever). here is the link: http://www.ycibo.com/mp4help/ with this I was able to modify my Onda firmware using latest version of RKLogoEdit_v1.0.0.17_relaxed taken from onda BBS (it come with LST embedded for VX858)

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 am   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

I have been looking for info on the chipset for this player but have not been able to find any yet.

There seems to be modded vesions all over the place, done already by owners!
This will make this a popular player! that is good news for all owners that like to personalise our players.

For sure it's not a Rockchip with .fwu firmware format.

Thanks for all the info Daremo.

PS
Quote: › AFAIK in rockchip players it can't be playing music while are watching photos.
err, They can actually, as mentioned on the Rock-Chips website, I think its just the lazy Rockchip programmers haven't bothered to implement it, just like proper Id3 tagging

Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:57 pm   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

Ok guys...
Finally this about the chipset was unveiled... i did open my player!... Confused .
Happily no seals was put in there... so my warranty is still alive... Smile
This player is based on chipset Actions ATJ2135 which is so new that all the information is in Chinese.
Nor even Actions semiconductors have information about it.
What i found inside was :

Chipset: Actions ATJ2135 - G51370A
BIOS: GTE ES/T ... whatever
Flash: M... 0728 29F8CCMAA... whatever
FM: Philips TEA5767

In the net there is lots of information about including some screen, information about SRS... but all in Chinese :

Here is a good page to see all screens menu and sub-menus available ---> ATJ2135

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:33 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

quick question below before i post a full on WOW reply

does it display album art?? and any form of bookmarking feature for movies

cheers -

a new era is now beginning, my enthusiasm is renewed, much to the dismay of my wallet!!

Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:47 pm   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

For the moment there is no Cover Art... Sad... I am sure that soon will come!!! Very Happy

Concerning movies it has automatic resume. If for any reason it's needed to cut and switch OFF the player, when switched ON it only have to choose the same movie and it will retake from the moment it was switched off. Nice feature... tested.

An example of sub menu.
Here is a example, in another device, of typical sub menu of the software... showing options of User Defined EQ... appears SRS 3D a joint venture among Actions and SRS... the only one I could get in English.

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:15 am   Post subject:  Re: Inside the Optimus Cosmic player (2.4" 240x340)... Back to top 

thanks for the reply

this chip sounds amazing, i have asked MP4nation on the forum to look into this and see if they can get some players because - WANT ONE http://www.mympxplayer.org/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

as you are playing around, how does it feel, is te interface nice and smooth.

i have had a good look around and found various writings from translated chinese sites and this chip rocks

Flash, FLV are supposed to be possible also

so much and just when i had kicked the MP$ buying habbit something like this comes along to tempt me.

if they could mix this with a decent sound chip like wolfson then i may retire the M6 already

apparently there is also a Actions ATJ2137 chip on the way as well, says it dual core - even more to look forward too

[edit]
found this on the ATJ2137 - apparently running on embedded linux!!

ATJ2137 runs linux!!

Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

wow, very cool, this is all new to me, i haven't heard anything about Action releasing a new chip, nor do any of the players we carry have this new chip

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic