There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Bash me all you want

Reply to topic

NOLA MPx Fan
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

USA US Louisiana
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:56 pm   Post subject: Hehehe ! Bash me all you want Back to top 

I am about to say something that some of you who have already expressed your dislike over one of my personal faves will take as a chance to flame me into submission.

Fortunately for me, I'm wrapped in a brand new 15 layer Nomex Suit of Truth, so it won't work Wink

As of today, there is one really good choice for folks that want a video player with 4 or 8 GB of memory that don't want to play a round of "is it hacked". They offer a great firmware that will be regularly updated, a battery that will last longer than one episode of Big Brother, the actual amount of memory advertised, an, oh, yeah, a warranty if anything goes wrong. Wink

Let the bashing of me and this choice begin, but for folks that don't want the risks sometimes associated with these little wonders of ours, the new video iPod Nano is not that bad a deal at $149US. Heck, I'll be adding one to my collection and look forward to running it and my mp4 player side by side.

I know this isn't the right choice for everyone here, but for those folks we see daily who come here and are asking questions that show they are uncomfortable with the off brands, there is now a choice other than "get a meizu". For the rest of us, back to finding ever more obscure players from the darkest reaches of China!

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I like the looks of the new iPod Touch screen players -- they look like the iPhone, minus the 'phone' function-- but I won't be getting one. I've had iPods and liked them, but once I went over to the Dark Side of Computing (Linux) I no longer deal with anything Apple since iTunes doesn't work with Linux, and I've decided that I like my music DRM-free.

The new Nano is cute too and the price is not bad, considering it now has video, but still no built-in FM receiver. Maybe fewer people than ever are listening to the radio.

Enjoy ALL your players! Smile

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
princessanne1026
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA US New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

NOLA MPx Fan - I'm not going to bash you at all. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and yours is very legit. I agree that the price drop (finally) of the new iPod video sounds great, and Apple has been known to produce quality products from what I've used of my friend's iPods. I just wish that they would add extra features like FM radio and a microphone without having to buy extra (expensive) accessories. What is their reasoning behind this?

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:21 pm   Post subject:  Re: Bash me all you want Back to top 

This just shows how slow Apple is.

We already have nano-sized MP4 players with video and FM radio, and only now is Apple adding video to its product. Add FM tuner module only cost RMB $0.10 in large quantities.

Also note, Apple 2nd generation Nano firmware is encrypted and still not able to modified. Apple want large profit.

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:29 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Those new Nanos are butt ugly. Now, if they'd added video to the old Nano look, I might be more impressed.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
lattesurf
Valued Member
Valued Member

Australia AU South Australia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:05 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Wow.. the new video nano looks pretty.. weird.. But i guess it's all a matter of getting used to it. As the old rectangular nano is like a typical "nano trademark" now.

From my perspective, Apple is moving away from the old Gen 1 shaped nanos. Likely this would be due to the influx of clones. So they are just re-inventing themselves and adding the video capability, so that potential clone buyers have 1 lesser reason to buy the clones. They could add an FM chip, but it would not be as attractive as video anyway.

At US$149/AUD$199 for 4GB, still seems pretty expensive.

princessanne1026 , it's all about the money. Apple wants you to purchase their expensive add-ons. Why add in a 10cent chip for free and sell for the same price, when you can manufacture a $1 cost-priced FM add-on, and sell it for $40. It's all about profits in business. This Apple is damn well good at.

T39 doesn''t sound as good as my T29
Download Post  No rating  
Riolist
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US New York
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:15 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Good choice, if you want very limited codec support, firmware updates that add nothing substantial, and being locked into proprietary formats and interfaces at every turn.

Download Post  No rating  
Zaphod
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

Iceland
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:43 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

lattesurf wrote (View Post): › They could add an FM chip, but it would not be as attractive as video anyway.
Patience. Remember, they've got to deliberately keep some features off to have stuff to add for the next upgrade as well... Twisted Evil

As long as the hordes of iPod zombies are going to buy this one no matter what, making too good a product would just be bad business for them. Same reason they're not introducing a 16GB Nano at present, I believe.

Download Post  No rating  
Hotboxx
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Belgium
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:59 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Very nice the new Apple iPod, but it is also made in the darkest reaches of China!

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hotboxx wrote (View Post): › Very nice the new Apple iPod, but it is also made in the darkest reaches of China!

Agreed.

NOLA MPx Fan,

Like what princessanne1026 said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think that is one of the reasons why this site as good as it is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't see anyone here bashing each other over it (99% of the time, there will be that odd, 1-2 posts here and there).

To be honest, I've never owned an iPod and have only used it ONCE. The thing I like about the MP4 players is that it doesn't try to be 'your best friend' by trying to do everything for you or trying too hard to make it idiot proof. I like how with the MP4 players, you plug it, computer detects it as a removable drive and away you go, copy the music, videos, pictures etc onto it, unplug it and you're done. Compare this with iTunes. I've heard that the only way to get music onto the iPods is by iTunes....? Also heard from other iPod users that iTunes also puts the music randomly in your iPod....? I work in the IT Support field and I've seen many times when disk space fills up on a server because a user plugged in their iPod, their 30 gigs of music gets synched up to the server as part of My Documents and there goes the disk space. Times that with 3-4 users and you've got a server fulled up with iPod music!

I do like the MP4 players because they are cheaper than the iPods and have more features.

But yeh, Apple must be doing something quite right to have sold so many iPods. I wonder how many MP4/iPod clones are sold in comparison?

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
NOLA MPx Fan
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

USA US Louisiana
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Riolist wrote (View Post): ›
Good choice, if you want very limited codec support, firmware updates that add nothing substantial, and being locked into proprietary formats and interfaces at every turn.

Huh? I didn't know mp3 was an Apple proprietary format Wink

Instead, there are firmware updates that everyone here warns will "brick" your player. There are projects out there to modify the iPod. But really, why change it?

As for FM tuners, both mine stink. And I think the logic goes something along the lines of "they are carrying xxGB of personally chosen music, why would they want to listen to static ridden radio?"

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US New York
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

NOLA MPx Fan wrote (View Post): ›

Huh? I didn't know mp3 was an Apple proprietary format Wink;

The ipod plays mp3's because it has to, but the real purpose of the ipod is to lock users into iTunes and it's DRM scheme, and not all FM radios are crap and full of static, the one on my mp4 player and most of the other players I own is very good.

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:18 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

lattesurf wrote (View Post): › From my perspective, Apple is moving away from the old Gen 1 shaped nanos. Likely this would be due to the influx of clones. So they are just re-inventing themselves and adding the video capability, so that potential clone buyers have 1 lesser reason to buy the clones. They could add an FM chip, but it would not be as attractive as video anyway.
http://erantech.en.ec21.com/product_detail.jsp?group_id=GC01561699&product_id=CA01821402

Now with a video camera and SD card slot. Is Apple ever going to catch up?

Here in China, MP4 players much larger selling than real iPod. In other country, Apple advertising is what the consumer appeal to, and term "MP4" not well known. But here is exact opposite. Also Macintosh computer sell less (we have PC laptops the look like Macbook)

Valued Member
Valued Member

Australia AU South Australia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:23 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The question is not about whether Apple is ever going to catch up with clones. But whether Apple wants to catch up or not.

Besides the limitations of using itunes and locking users with DRM, the ipod i could frankly say is very much better than typical clones in terms of build quality and reliability. Needless to say the 12 month warranty.

If i had the choice of choosing between being free from the limitations mentioned above, and having good build quality and reliability. My answer would definitely be to chose the good build quality and reliability.

Most of the forum regulars in here have gone from AMV players to Rockchip or Telechip players, i'm one of them too. The reason is basically Rockchip or Telechip is able to provide more reliability than typical AMV players.

Frankly speaking, Apple does not need to "catch up" with the clones. Apple is the creator of nanos, the clones are simply lower-quality copies.

Besides, Apple had already developed the iPhone for sale since like last year. It has a camera, touch screen, wifi, bluetooth, GSM, etc. Everything that any PMP could possibly have. I've not yet seen any clones with these features. The closest is the Teclast T59, but it is still in a conceptual stage.

T39 doesn''t sound as good as my T29
Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:06 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

lattesurf wrote (View Post): › Besides, Apple had already developed the iPhone for sale since like last year. It has a camera, touch screen, wifi, bluetooth, GSM, etc. Everything that any PMP could possibly have. I've not yet seen any clones with these features. The closest is the Teclast T59, but it is still in a conceptual stage.
CECT P168. Released several weeks before real iPhone, and currently sell very popular in China.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_8wuVEYMZ8

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic