Read the rules of this websiteRules
View website statisticsStatistics
See who is online at this time.Online Users
Members of our staffStaff

Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

A Panel of members to bring down scammers.

Reply to topic

robjones
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

United Kingdom UK Wales
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:41 pm   Post subject:  A Panel of members to bring down scammers. Back to top 

Hi, The idea is to have an organised panel of Ebay members to target individual sellers(scammers). We would target one seller at a time, its just a hunch but I think it would be a worthwhile exercise to have an organised approach to reporting bad listings on Ebay. It`s just a hunch but I think that the more Ebay members that complain about a particular listing within a certain timeframe, the more likelyhood we would have of success. People would need to be committed to the task. It would only take 5 or 10 minutes day to put the complaints in. For scammers who are using "nano" in the title I would suggest the "fraudulant listing" complaint. We definately need to be organised properly though. We would need to agree on a target and stick to it until they are brought down. Anyone any further ideas on this?

WHO`S UP FOR IT?

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:42 pm   Post subject:  Re: A Panel of members to bring down scammers. Back to top 

I'm up for reporting for duty Sir Twisted Evil But we need as many as possible to do this, because we don't just want one persons doing all the reporting, as it will get obvious to E Bay Cool

So we shall have to work something out between us, if enough of us volunteer. Mad

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:19 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Not much interest here Rob!!!

So I guess it's a No No

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:38 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Using the word "Nano" in the title isn't really dishonest. I think your best bet would be to target those sellers who are selling 8GB/1GB players.

Download Post  No rating  
mekako
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Derfal you have put your posting in the wrong section.

You obviously have not read the postings related to the subject you are commenting on

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

United Kingdom UK Wales
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:10 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think you are right mekako, not really worth bothering. I must add that another member has said that she was willing to help and that`s buzzygirl, thanks again for that. I somehow dont think three is gonna do it, but thanks for stepping forward.

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

mekako wrote (View Post): ›
Derfal you have put your posting in the wrong section.

You obviously have not read the postings related to the subject you are commenting on

Uh, no. I'm saying quite honestly that a seller that puts the word "Nano" in their listing isn't exactly being misleading or fradulent. If they put "iPod Nano" without mentioning "clone" or "similar to", then I could see making a case.

My suggestion was to focus on the 8GB/1GB hackers, which seems to be a bigger problem as far as I can tell. You'd probably get more people willing to join your "crusade" for that topic than you would people passing off clones as real iPods.

Download Post  No rating  
robjones
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

United Kingdom UK Wales
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:27 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Not going to procede with this any further, not much interest shown. Pity, a more pro-active aproach might have brought results.

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:09 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Derfel wrote (View Post): › Using the word "Nano" in the title isn't really dishonest.

It is absolutely 100% dishonest. Why? I say Nano, you think iPod. That is why sellers who sell clones put the word Nano in the title and description -they want buyers to think they are selling a real iPod Nano. They also use the word Nano to get hits from the key word in search results.

Its called key word spamming and its not allowed on eBay.

The way dishonest sellers get get around this is by putting in the title "2GB MP3 MP4 Player + Case iPod Nano". Its no big secret I'm revealing here. Check eBay - hundreds of sellers do it.

Don't be fooled. Sellers using the word Nano do it for one reason: to get buyers to think they are selling an iPod.

Its dishonest and wrong. There is a reason you don't see more sellers having a title like this: 2GB MP3 MP4 Chinese Cloned Player Video Music FM Radio.

Hello!!!

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:23 am   Post subject:  Re: A Panel of members to bring down scammers. Back to top 

Yeah I agree, they even use the wording "iPod Nano" which I would have thought was not only dishonest but illegal.

Actually looks like Apple stole the "Nano" bit from Creative.
So maybe that's why Apple don't want to persue this.:

Apple vs Creative

Download Post  No rating  
mekako
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:35 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks guys and well put, you have stated the obvious.

My point exactly

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

United Kingdom UK Wales
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:39 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Unfortunately the only success I have had with Ebay is when the scammers have used the words Apple or Ipod. They dont seem to stop listings with just the word Nano. That is the only reason I can think of why items by seller matafactory are still active despite literally hundreds of complaints from me. It seems to put the sale price up by about 200%. They dont seem to regard it as keyword spamming. It is another case of Ebay doing the bare minimum to ensure that they can get listing fees and final sale value fees for what should be illegal listings.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic