Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Father

Reply to topic

superstar

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 pm   Post subject:  Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Father Back to top 

Good afternoon ladies & gentlemen,

Hello everyone this is my very first time making a thread and posting anything on this site. Thank you for all of your hard work in helping this site grow. I will definitely recommend this site to all of my friends. & thank you for taking the time to read this thread. Without further a due here I go...

I am here as a "new" mp3 player buyer. Why do I say "new"? Well I've never bought an mp3 player before except a 2GB I Pod Nano I purchased for my girlfriend last year during xmas. I never really payed much attention to it's specifications when I bought it for her since all she wanted was a simple mp3 player. So therefore I still consider myself a "new" mp3 buyer with little to no experience about these gadgets.

Anyways I have a quick story to tell before I ask for help in buying a new mp3 player. Basically my father lives in south america, and it's pretty full of criminals down there. Thieves have stolen my fathers cd car deck 4 times in the past 6 years. As we all know south americans don't make much money so it's hard for him to dish out $150US for a new cd car deck each time it gets stolen. The horrible news is that they stole my fathers cd car deck yet again this week. I feel really bad about this and we've decided to come up with a new tactic.

I've informed him that the latest trend in North America is having your own portable mp3 player. I told him they can work wonders since they do many things than just play music. I let him know how they work and what they do so we tore that wall down. I also told him I want to buy him one so he can carry a portable player in his pocket instead of having to have his car deck stolen all the time. I explained how the Apple I Pod has an fm transmitter that can send the sound signal to his car stereo if he buys a simple radio deck for his car [ie: not cd player car deck - just radio]. I assume fm sound transmission sending the mp3 player sound wirelessly to car speakers can also be done with any other mp3 player using some sort of external device.

We came up with the main specs we want his mp3 player to have:

1. Fm Radio
2. The ability to purchase some sort of external device that can send the mp3 sound wirelessy to his card radio deck using fm signal
3. Mp3 Playback
4. Great Video Quality
5. Very Excellent Sound [ie: not cheap bad quality sound]
6. Simple interface navigation [ie: not difficult to use]
7. Durability with low price [ie: a very low cost mp3 player that can last years and won't break or ruin so fast]

Anything else other than what we listed would be an added plus. I stayed up all last night since I felt bad and looked around google, ebay, youtube reviews, and this site looking for a few players to choose for him [I still haven't even gone to bed]. I than found four candidates.

Our four choices to choose from:

ONDA VX858

ONDA VX858 INFO: http://houseofdap.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=73

TECLAST T29

TECLAST T29 INFO:
http://houseofdap.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=17

TECLAST C280

TECLAST C280 INFO:

http://houseofdap.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=56

TECLAST T39

TECLAST T39 INFO:

http://houseofdap.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=72

Okay now we'll list our questions to you. I hope you either know about these players or visited the info url links above to see their specs. Please try to answer all the questions below by copying and pasting the questions into your post and answering them.

1. What is the best mp3 player out of the four we chose, and why? [Please chose one]

2. Is the player durable in strength with a good battery too? [ie: lasts long especially when touched a lot and has a good battery that doesn't ruin]

3. Does it have easy to use navigation?

4. How well is the quality of the sound?

5. Can you change the theme/look of the player by updating to a custom firmware?

6. Is it possible to use some sort of external device to transmit the sound from the player to car speakers wirelessy through fm radio signal? [If so please list the device you can use to do so]

8. Where can you buy it for the cheapest price from a legit seller with legit GB size? [exact model only no rebrands or copies with other names]

9. Please list any other reasons/info you can on the player you chose as the best of the four. & if you didn't like any please list why and what you would recommend instead.

OUR BUDGET: Anywhere between $50US - $130US

Thank You

Download Post  No rating  
lattesurf
Valued Member
Valued Member

Australia AU South Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

superstar , personally i own the 4GB T29, but generally i could still comment on the other choices.

1. i would recommend the T39 as it's the latest player from Teclast. It does not differ that much from the T29 or C280 as internally both players use similar hardware. The only obvious difference would be the touch controls though.

2. Not very sure about the Onda, but with a 1000mAh battery, it should be quite lasting. The T29 i have lasts for about 14 hours of music playback, and about 5-6hours of video. I can't remember, but i think the battery is around 600mAh or so. So the 1000mAh batteries for the Onda and T39 should almost double it.
So far have used my T29 for about 10 months now, and it has been trouble free.

3. In general, all players need a little getting used to. The first time i used the T29, the joystick was extremely hard to navigate. i kept hitting it wrongly and going all over the player. But once i got used to it, i could navigate it within my pocket without taking it out.
The Onda uses a stylus, which i presume that control should be quite easy. But troublesome when you are carrying other stuff in your hands and you actually need both hands to use the stylus and hold the player.
The T29 uses a joystick control with some side buttons, the T39 i assume it is controlled by side buttons.
For the C280, it uses touchpad controls. Very much similar to the LG KG800 Chocolate mobile phone. i own this phone btw, control is quite ok, just need a little getting used to. You'll tend to exert some force on the touchpad at the beginning, as you would normally do on normal button controls. But whether it lasts or not, i'm not very sure.

4. In general, all the 4 players uses the same Wolfson audio chip. Which means that all of them are quite similar in sound quality. The thing i like about these few players are that there is a separate audio processor and main processor. Which mean better quality for music. i'll say that the sound quality would be much better than typical nano-clones.

5. Not so sure about the Onda, but the Teclast do have updated firmwares which you can download and update your player. But the last update i had for my T29 was about 6months ago. They probably stopped supporting it as newer players are out.

6. You can find lots of FM transmitter on ebay or your local electronics store. They use the typical 3.5mm plug which you plug into the audio socket of your player. Chose an FM frequency, then use your car stereo to tune into that frequency.
i'll suggest that you check for the frequency used on the transmitter before buying. Most cheap transmitters only have 3-4 preset frequencies, which might be the same as your local radio station's frequency. This would interfere with both transmissions, and you won't get clear output.
If possible, get those that are adjustable, like a car stereo, but are more expensive though.

8. Houseofdap is currently the official main exporter for the Teclast players. But there are some other private re-sellers who sell the OEM version of the Teclast players. They are exactly the same, only without the Teclast branding.

9. Guess i could not really chose the best player as i only own 1 of them. But if given the choice, i'll probably try the T39.

T39 doesn''t sound as good as my T29
Download Post  No rating  
superstar

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:30 pm   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

I greatly appreciate your reply kind sir. That was quite useful information for me and my father. This is now steering us towards either buying the T39 or the Onda VX858.

Anymore replies would be great if anyone else is out there!

BTW is your T29 case shiney like an I Pod? I assume all the Teclast models would be made the same according to your answer. If so is it easy to scratch too?

Download Post  No rating  
lattesurf
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

superstar , the back of the T29 is shiny silver, and the front is glossy black. Very much like the ipod nanos, so if unprotected and you keep it in your pocket with coins and keys, most likely it'll end up scratched.

However, house of dap sells the silicon casing for the T29, guess they should sell for the T39 & Onda models too. With the casing, it should be quite alright.

Download Post  No rating  
tadad1

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The only negative I have heard\read about the touch control players in your selection is that they can be slow and unresponsive when trying to navigate or activate commands with the touch system especially the Onda which was found to be most frustrating and required the use of a stylus.

If you have been ripped off with a hacked player by a seller submit a report to www.ic3.gov
Download Post  No rating  
superstar

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:36 am   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

Damn well now I've found another road block. First off everyone's saying I should get my dad the Teclast T39. So that's obviously what I would want for him. But you know what? I did some reading and research at www.teclasters.com [which is a fan site for teclast aficionados], and well someone wrote a review there mentioning that the Teclast T39 hardware can be felt moving inside the case when you move the unit side to side. This seems like a road block for us now that we chose the right unit.

On top of that there is another problem I read about on www.teclasters.com. Which is the fact that there are "first run" players being sold which have on screen design flaws when upgraded to new firmware or something like that. I have no idea what "first run" even means. I assume that has to do with the manufacturing process.

Oh my what are we to do?

Update:

Hmm I just found a "second run" unit of the T39 here:

http://futuredaps.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=24

I still wonder what the difference is on units called "first run" and "second run".

Download Post  No rating  
lattesurf
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:50 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

superstar , the moving part probably was a manufacturing fault. No manufacturer would have something moving inside their players, unless it was a faulty, or something broke off inside.

First run and second run, i can only think of them as being first and second edition, but i might be wrong.

But anyway, House of Dap offers warranty, so i won't be so worried if the player arrives faulty.

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:20 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Something that wasn't mentioned.
Yes you can theme and customise these players since both Onda and Teclast provide firmware upgrades and support on their websites.

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:25 am   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

Hi superstar. Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to throw another player into the pot for you to consider. Ready?
Get him an apple ipod with video. The only thing that doesn't meet your criteria is price. But its well worth the money, every dollar.

You can't beat an apple ipod, a real apple ipod from a authorized brick and mortar store where you can see it and try it out.

There are so many fakes and scams and nasty sellers online selling MP3 and MP4 players it is worth the extra money to invest in getting your Father the best, and it will save you hassel and frustrations.

There are some very honest sellers with some great clones but for a gift, espiecally for a family member I say get your dad a apple ipod video. You can't go wrong. You'll have to pay more for it then a fake clone but it will be worth every dollar.

Download Post  No rating  
tadad1

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:47 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

ashley_rb wrote (View Post): ›

Get him an apple ipod with video. The only thing that doesn't meet your criteria is price. But its well worth the money, every dollar.

You can't beat an apple ipod, a real apple ipod from a authorized brick and mortar store where you can see it and try it out.

There are so many fakes and scams and nasty sellers online selling MP3 and MP4 players it is worth the extra money to invest in getting your Father the best, and it will save you hassel and frustrations.

There are some very honest sellers with some great clones but for a gift, espiecally for a family member I say get your dad a apple ipod video. You can't go wrong. You'll have to pay more for it then a fake clone but it will be worth every dollar.

If you reside in a place where your $100-$150 car sound system has been stolen 4 times I would think walking around with a expensive iPod Video would be quite hazardous to your health.

If you have been ripped off with a hacked player by a seller submit a report to www.ic3.gov
Download Post  No rating  
superstar

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:03 am   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

ashley_rb wrote (View Post): ›

Thank you for your honesty but I live on my own and I don't have the money to spend on a real I Pod with video which would cost something like $250 or more.

tadad1 wrote (View Post): ›
If you reside in a place where your $100-$150 car sound system has been stolen 4 times I would think walking around with a expensive iPod Video would be quite hazardous to your health.

I hope that wasn't a joke or insult. No but in all seriousness your right in some aspects. & that is the fact that my own father said "Just get me whatever you research to be the best at a low cost. I rather lose something with less value than an I Pod."

I can't lie anymore but he really wanted the Teclast T39. But I want to get it from a serious honest seller who won't sell me a fake. I need it to come in mint condition capable of working with firmware updates. With so many of these first run, second run, etc... I don't know where to go for what. He need's it in english and I want to be able to change things for him before I send it to him like the Intro splash screen that says www.teclast.com when you turn it on. I don't know how to do things like that but I'm willing to learn if anyone can give me the info. I am a serious computer geek so you won't lose me that easily. Lol! I build my own computers on spare time for money on the side so I know a lot about pcs and software. I've just never delved into the mp3 player side of things...

Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acoamOyasUQ

Download Post  No rating  
ashley_rb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:56 am   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

Hi superstar. Over at another thread we've been discussing a seller MP4Nation. He is a member here and is name on the forum is razzer001.

The site is mp4nation.com

tadad1 said about mp4nation, "MP4Nation is run by one of our longterm members "razzer001". You will find quite a few of his players reviewed on youtube. I would be very surprised if you had any problems dealing with MP4Nation."

Maybe he has the player you are looking for or maybe he can get it. He sounds like a good seller. I googled him on found a lot of information on mp4nation. Some good, some not so good. But he comes highly recommended by the mod and admin.

Admin said about razzer001, "I am have been discussing with razzer001 about mp4nation sponsoring some prizes for our site as well. I have never bought from them but razzer001 has been on this site for awhile now."

hope this helps you finding a good seller. contact razzer001 and see what he says about the type of player you want.

the thread that discusses mp4nation is at:

http://mympxplayer.org/mp4-nationcom-vt6803.html

Download Post  No rating  
tadad1

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:01 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

superstar, I meant it neither as an insult or joke but as a real concern for your father. There is quite a high rate of iPod related muggings and snatch thefts, so much so that owners go to considerable length to disguise there players and avoid using the tell-tale trade mark white earphones.

Might I suggest you contact Tomas directly by email at tomas@houseofdap.com and ask for his assistance in recommending a player that would suit your needs. I have always found him to be most helpful and he would have hands on knowledge of all the players in your list and any problems his customers have met.

Download Post  No rating  
superstar

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:13 am   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

Thanks I just emailed Thomas right now for info. Btw does anyone know when the Teclast T59 is coming out?

Download Post  No rating  
kevin21

Argentina
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:32 pm   Post subject:  Re: Please Help Me Find The Appropriate Mp3 Player For My Fa Back to top 

u stay up look for mp3 for your father ,i appreciate u ,you're a dutiful son.i had a website SOURCINGMAP to share with you ,may be it can help u .
Good Luck. Have Fun. Smile

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic