There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Need some advice for my next player.

Reply to topic

kope007
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:28 pm   Post subject:  Need some advice for my next player. Back to top 

Well I'm officially addicted to these things.

Having had my chipod for about a week now (4GB from Tinydeal Direct)
I find myself wanting a little more from my player.

I think the the main feature I really want in my next player is the ability to listen to music while browsing folders.

What component of the player allows this function? Is it he chip (ie. all rochips do this)? Is it the firmware or brand of the player? Or is it a combination of both.

The miezu's are a little out of my range.

I've had my eye on some of the Optimus players, particularly at Mp4Nation. But am a little hesitant because I haven't read hardley anything here about this seller.And I've only read a review of the Optimus X, but there are quite a few others styles.

Any Insight would be appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:45 pm   Post subject:  Re: Need some advice for my next player. Back to top 

Kope, I found this YouTube video. It does play while file browsing. You Tube Opitumus X review by Razzer

Looks like a decent player with a built in speaker. That is honestly the only thing I would change on my Meizu. A built in speaker would be awesome!

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
jp
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:45 am   Post subject:  Re: Need some advice for my next player. Back to top 

kope007, I have the Optimus X and suggest you get a Rockchip player with Nokia removable battery. While the Optimus X plays well, the battery life is too short. Generic Nokia batteries are widely available.

Uxcell carries a couple of Rockchip models with removable batteries. The Black Pearl and Alba. You should confirm the specs on either player before ordering as there seem to be some discrepancies in the descriptions. 320 x 240 pixels on a 2.4 inch screen gives an excellent picture. I'm not sure why the price difference between the two models given they seem to have the same specs when you compare the detailed descriptions.

I've never bought from Uxcell but members here seem to have had a generally good experience. My order from mp4Nation took almost a month to arrive.

Download Post  No rating  
lite
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:46 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

meizu M6 4GB = $100...
Id reccomend the M6 anyday... Its a brilliant player and you get much better value to quality for money ratio

Download Post  No rating  
kope007
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:44 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks alot for the advice.

In some descriptions of players at Uxcell they state:

"With the Synchronization Function (can enjoy music as playing e-book)."

Is this supposed to mean that you can browse the players folders while still listening to tunes?

I saw that the Miezu M6 is out there for $100, and have no doubt it is an excellent player, but...

I was hoping to spend a liitle less than that. (my old lady is already mad because I just got my chipod. lol) and

I feel like I need to make at least one more mistake before I listen to what everyone says and get the M6. The m6 is like the Ipod of the mp4 world, and I just have to be different. j/k.

Thanks again all.

*edit* I guess after thinking more about it, the non M6 players I am considering would be right around $100 after you add an expansion card. I'm really running out of excuses here.

Last edited by kope007 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:22 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Kope, if you go ahead and do it, you won't regret it. The M6 is calling to you. Besides, chances are your wife won't be mad once she sees how awesome this player is.

Newegg has a 4gb listed for $99.00 plus $4.99 3 day shipping. Newegg

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
jp
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:13 am   Post subject:  Re: Need some advice for my next player. Back to top 

kope007: The only reasons I would NOT go with the Meizu is IF you decide that you need a built in speaker, which I do, and if you want a removable battery so that you can carry multiple ones (for use during plane trips,...)

It may be that the solution to both these current shortcomings in the Meizu is their expected entry into the cellphone market.

As well, other cell phone mfg. may bring out versions with Xvid or comparable file types in the near future and of course these already have built in speakers (my 2 year old low end Nokia has a loud speaker / speaker phone function that I use all the time) and of course cellphones have removable batteries.

It may be that these devices will be worth purchasing just to use as players without using the phone component ?!

There is no penalty in making do with what you have due to price drops and memory capacity increases as within a month of getting your next player, there will likely be another one that you want. Especially if a built in speaker is important to you, like it is to me.

Another player you might check out is carried by BestBuy in the States. If it had a built in speaker, I would be satisfied with it. The newer model has wireless bluetooth capabilities for headset use. Here's a link to the most basic model. Check out the mfg. web site too. It does have a removable battery that can be sourced at BestBuy at a reasonable price. If you keep an eye on these you might find them on sale at a really good price in the next few months. You might want to drop in to the store and play with it a bit from a comparison shopping point of view.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8001306&type=product&id=1155072369023

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:45 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Meizus are rated at 20 continuous music playback and 6 hours of video playback per charge. If you need more, there is a USB battery pack that can be used to either charge or play the Meizu. It has 28 hours MP3 playback. It takes two AA batteries and is $12 at House of DAP.

However, built in speakers are nice. I got my mom a Meizu clone with a built in speaker. However, hers doesn't hold up against mine any other way.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
lite
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Nah , the M6 is rated at 36 hours music playback , and i get around 30 hours. and about 7 hours video. For the speaker you can always get an external speaker that will go into the headphone jack for a few dollars with better sound then inbuilt speakers.

Meizu are developing a phone and it will be feature filled:

The Meizu M8 Phone
8-16gb
WIFI
3G
3MPX camera on back + 0.3 on front
Built in TV tuner (Freeview/Digital)
Bluetooth
Unlocked
700 MHZ processor (Clocked)
128MB RAM
Running a windows CE based operating system
11mm thin
Removable battery
GPS addon
Motion + light sensors
Only work with Europe and China bands for the phone

I cant remember pricing but its about 1/3rd of the Iphone

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:59 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

36 hours? Even better! Cool I just pulled the specs off of House of DAP. I haven't tested the limits of mine yet.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
lite
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:03 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeh , there was a update in the 2.000.2.3 firmware which clocked the processor properly to put it up to 36 hours ,

Sorry if i sounded insulting , I didnt mean to.

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Don't worry about it. I didn't take it that way. Cool I am actually glad you posted that because it makes me love my Meizu even more! Very Happy

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
kope007
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:56 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for all the excellent points and opinions.

Battery life is not much of a concern with me.
I would choose a smaller player without a replaceable battery.

What would you guys say separates the meizu M6 (I have never had my hands on one) from the other higher quality rockchip mp4s(such as Optimus x).

Is it just the ease/ speed of library navigation? the fact that firmware is mod-able?

I would really like an external speaker.
I'm truly torn. But I think shopping for one is half the fun.
Thanks again everyone.

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Kope, I can't really compare it to other Rockchips like the Optimus since I don't have one. I can say that hands down it surpasses the Chipod. The sound quality is incredible and the video is amazing compared to my 4gb Chipod with a 1.5 inch screen.

File browsing is fast. The touch controls take a little getting used to, but once you do, navigating the menu is a breeze. You can listen to music while browsing the files.

If you haven't already, check my previous post where I included the You Tube link. Razzer gives an informative review on the Optimus and has a thread about it posted in the MP4 player reviews. Cool

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
kope007
Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

well Ive' managed to convince one of my friends that he just has to have one.
So now I'll just steer him to one of the rockchip players I was contemplating and wait till he gets his so I can try it out.

Thanks for all the input.
Maybe I should just wait for the M8 phone.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic