There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Before you buy a player: How To Spot A Hacked Player

Reply to topic

ashley_rb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:03 am   Post subject:  Before you buy a player: How To Spot A Hacked Player Back to top 

OMG. This is an amazing article. I got it from the online manual at http://www.teekobeach.com

If you are thinking of getting a player or shopping around for a MP3 MP4 player, read this article. It will save you money and hassel.

The article is copyrighted but I asked if I could post it at some forums.

Here's the article:

How To Spot A Hacked Player

In the description for the player, you may see something like: "This is a compressed 8GB flash drive, the 8GB capacity is for storing data files only; the actual playable and recordable capacity is 1GB".

Read the small print. Its not 8GB. There is no such thing as a player being 8GB with only 1GB recordable capacity.

Or you may see this: "The memory of this player is unformated. By formatting it you will loose considerable memory capacity and is not recommended or damage."

Reformatting will not damage your player.

If you read something like that or similar to it, the player's memory is hacked.

Sellers include disclaimers in their listings to help protect themselves when a buyer puts in a claim with PayPal. The seller tells PayPal about the disclaimer in the hope that PayPal will decide in favor of the seller and not the buyer. Some rulings have been in favor of the seller, some for the buyer. But hacked sellers know without the disclaimer PayPal will always side with the buyer.

Key Words

When searching for a MP3 MP4 Player remember these key words:

Compressed Memory

Unformatted

Player has only a certain amount of recordable capacity, much less then the advertised capacity.

Warnings About Reformatting the Player

If you see any of those key words in the description the player's memory is hacked.

Get The Guarantee Before You Buy

Contact the seller and ask them what kind of guarantee they have if you get a hacked player from them. If the seller doesn't reply, the odds that they are selling a hack is high.

If the seller responds, look for the key words in the reply: Compressed Memory, Unformatted, Warnings About Reformatting the Player.

How Sellers Try To Not Honor The Guarantee

In an effect to hide a player is hacked, some sellers listing hacks on eBay will say something like this in the description, "Player is not hacked money back if its hacked".

So the buyer thinks everything is ok. But when the player arrives there is a piece of paper included with the player telling the buyer either:

1) "The memory is not formatted and reformatting will cause damage or cause the player to stop working". That is not true. Reformatting does not hurt your player.

2) "The memory is compressed and by reformatting the player you will loose comsiderable capacity". After reformatting the player, the only way you loose memory is if the player was hacked before the reformat.

3) "Seller is not responsible for memory capacity".

Getting the guarantee in writing from them by email or eBay messaging is important. If you have to file a claim with PayPal, you can submit the email or eBay message.

The Black List

There is a list of known sellers listing hacked players. You can check to see if the seller is on the list at:

mympxplayer.org/bad-sellers-blacklist-vf15.html

You can also post a message asking if anyone has purchased a player from a certain seller at the forum. mympxplayer.org

Copyright 2007. http://www.teekobeach.com/spotahack.html

I left the link to this forum in the post because I wanted to copy the article in its entirety because of the copyright.

Wow. Amazing Article.

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:24 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Great article and very helpful! Thanks for posting it ashley.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:05 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, thanks a lot! Very Happy

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic