There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

The AMV format - i think i can create a better converter

Reply to topic

alex2pb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:54 am   Post subject: Idea The AMV format - i think i can create a better converter Back to top 

Hi guys! I am a sunday programmer and i want to ask you if anyone has any knowledge of the amv video format. What i want to do is to create a new amv converter, for example one that could let you choose any movie size Smile. I think it would not be bad to try that but unfortunately i haven't found any papers about this format. If i stay up and try to hack it with a hex editor i would spend too much time with it and i don't have that much time on my hands. So is it a good idea to try or should i drop it ?? Wink

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:38 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi man! Nice to see more Romanians here. (damn database crash removing my posts Laughing)

I don't think it would be that good of an idea, coz AMV players are getting out of fashion quickly, with AVI/DivX players replacing them, but it would be great seeing a converter with explicit image size, ratio and frame rate options. Cool

Unfortunately there really isn't any documentation on the AMV format around, but by the looks of it in a hex editor it's just an AVI with hacked headers. Try ripping the headers out of an AMV file and pasting them over the headers of a MJPEG compressed AVI resized to your player's screen size. If you're lucky it just might work, and you will have the starting point of coding your new converter. Very Happy

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
alex2pb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:09 pm   Post subject:  Re: The AMV format - i think i can create a better converter Back to top 

Hi Smile. I am glad that I'm not alone here Very Happy. I digged up the internet and i think I found the header specifications. It seems that it's like you said a combination between 'avi' and the 'Apex Media Video' from the Nintendo Game Boy. So some chunks are removed from the avi format and some are modified. The audio codec seems to be MP3 (because this and wmv can be played natively on the chipset) and the video stream is MPEG4. I'll keep you informed about this issue. Also, if this works, I can create a Linux port of this too. Hope I can manage it, i never programmed multimedia stuff.

Download Post  No rating  
booboo773
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi I think there are still plenty of people who would benefit from a better AMV converter. Rockchip players are definitely my first pick. The AVI files play so much better.

However, I do have a couple of Action chipsets and would love to improve the AMV.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:43 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

alex2pb wrote: › I digged up the internet and i think I found the header specifications. It seems that it's like you said a combination between 'avi' and the 'Apex Media Video' from the Nintendo Game Boy. So some chunks are removed from the avi format and some are modified. The audio codec seems to be MP3 (because this and wmv can be played natively on the chipset) and the video stream is MPEG4. I'll keep you informed about this issue. Also, if this works, I can create a Linux port of this too. Hope I can manage it, i never programmed multimedia stuff.

That's good news man. The audio is converted to 22KHz 8bit mono, but by the sound of it (and the pretty small size difference between image quality and framerate modes), i would say it's more like the mobile phone WAV format rather than MP3.

Well, keep us updated!

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Download Post  No rating  
alex2pb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:26 pm   Post subject:  Re: The AMV format - i think i can create a better converter Back to top 

RO:
E nasol rau de tot... Are structura aia nemernica de la inceput si nu pot sa o rescriu ca sare din biti. Oricum, mai incerc.

ENG:
This is really hard... It's got that bloody structure at the beginning and i can't write over it because it gets to the wrong offset. Anyways, i'll still experiment.

Good player: KiORA K7702 (SPMP3052A)
Dead player: Nexus Nomad A217 2gb, broken screen
EarBuds: Sony TwinTurbo MDR-E755
Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:36 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

RO: Mai incearca, trebuie sa reusesti. Wink Te-as ajuta si eu daca as putea dar nu prea am cum, cel putin acum. Hmm, pana la urma chinezii astia nu-s asa de prosti...

EN: Keep trying, you've got to succeed. Wink I'd help you if i could but i'm not really able, at least now. Hmm, it seems these Chinese aren't that stupid...

Download Post  No rating  
Buzzygirl
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi Alex2pb,

This is an older thread, but I found it while searching under "Linux" on the forums here. I would like to find an AMV converter for Linux, but I have had no luck at all. My main computer runs Ubuntu Linux. Since there are no AMV converters I know of for Linux, I am not able to watch videos on my MP4 player. I don't know much about Linux programming-- the last programming I did was 1996 in Visual Basic for Windows Smile

P.S. I like the Romanian language! Of all the "Romance" languages, it seems closest to classical Latin.