Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player

Reply to topic

EazyE16

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 pm   Post subject:  Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

Hi,
Ive been looking at the review sections and have noticed that there are many MP4 players there which are just rebranded IDENTICAL versions of what i am finding. Most people here are in the USA, im in the UK you see, and they are all pretty much the same. Made in China and mass produced.

Anyway I have 30 and am looking to buy an MP4 player. The cheap ones ive looked at nearly all have 2.5mm stereo sockets and usually come with an adaptor but i'd rather get a 3.5mm socket to begin with. Anyway here are some ive been looking at, the best one imo being the ATMT. Maybe some people here could give advice on a good buy:

A388 1G TeckNet MP4/MP3 Player with FM Radio & F-03 205 Channel FM Transmitter(Silver)

LKO 309 1G MP4/MP3 Player with Build-IN FM and Speaker

ATMT V-PLAY MP4 PLAYER - 2GB EXPANDABLE with RADIO and DRM10 - BLACK

Rumble 1.5 inch Palm PMP 1024MB - Black DIGITAL AUDIO MP3/ MP4 PLAYER!

TeckNet A83 2G 1.8" Screen MP4/MP3 Player with FM Radio - Silver

TeckNet A399 1G MP4/MP3 Player With Build-In FM (Silver)

TeckNet A819 1G 1.8" Screen MP4/MP3 Player with FM Radio - Black

EW-Link E80 1.8" Screen 1G the last generation MP4/MP3 Player With 1.8" LCD Screen and Build-In FM (Black)

The choices are pretty crazy, i love the style of the ATMT and its one of the few with a 3.5mm socket.

Any advice?

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:22 pm   Post subject:  Re: Hi i'm new, looking for cheap MP4 player Back to top 

30 should get you a RockChip Mp4 player in the UK if you shop around.
This would play Mp4 (.avi) videos and have a miniSd memory slot. These Mp4 players are very stable and offer the best value for money at the moment and have 3.5mm sockets.
The sound quality is as good if not better than an Ipod.
Ebuyer.com recently had a 2Gig for 30 and 1Gig for 20 which you can add a further 2gig to with a miniSd card.
If you decide you want to buy from Ebay be careful of scammers and have a look at the advice on this forum.

This player is a RockChip, but is 39.99 inc vat:-
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/128646/rb/0

Download Post  No rating  
ashley_rb
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:07 pm   Post subject:  Re: Hi i'm new, looking for cheap MP4 player Back to top 

Don't go to cheap. Sellers and online stores selling hacks sell players super cheap.

There are scammers on amazon as well.

But you are definitely doing the right thing - shop around and compare. And check out all of the info at the forum.

Download Post  No rating  
mekako
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Ok so your in the UK! if you have an Aldi store near to you take a look and see if they still have any of the MP4 player they were selling from the 12th of July.

I do know they have limited stock, but you may be lucky and they may have one or two left.

At least you can see it before you buy, and have a full warranty also, 2GB for 27.99 which is not bad.

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

USA US Louisiana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

A second on the Rock Chip players.

The video is great, and the sound is good. As a long time iPod user (I have a 3G and an original iPod that are still in use) I am of course biased on the audio front, but with a decent pair of earphones the sound is quite good.

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:01 am   Post subject:  Re: Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

The Rock Chip thing is too expensive.

Is anything else worth buying? I thought this would be:

ATMT V-PLAY MP4 PLAYER - 2GB EXPANDABLE with RADIO and DRM10 - BLACK

I can't find the American equivalent though.

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:01 am   Post subject:  Re: Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

You can have a look at these players from UXcell as well. I've tried to match them against the "ATMT V-PLAY MP4 PLAYER - 2GB EXPANDABLE with RADIO and DRM10 - BLACK" player you mentioned.

Glacier - MP4 Player 2 inch TFT LCD 2GB Black (using Nokia Battery)
- Roughly same price, with 3.5mm earphone jack but larger 2.0" screen.

MP4 Player 2" TFT Display MTV + Speaker Black 2GB "Palladium"
- Alittle more expensive, with 3.5mm earphone jack but larger 2.0" screen.

Spectrum - MP4 Player 2 inch TFT LCD 1GB Black (Alloy Version)
- Cheaper, with 2.5mm earphone jack though but larger 2.0" screen.

Hope that helps.

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
EazyE16

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:37 am   Post subject:  Re: Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

Thanks but i dont buy from US websites.

Download Post  No rating  
NOLA MPx Fan
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

USA US Louisiana
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:50 am   Post subject:  Re: Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

EazyE16 wrote (View Post): › Thanks but i dont buy from US websites.

Huh? Three posts up you ask for an American equivalent. Someone gives it to you but then you don't want to buy an American equivalent? I must have missed something there.

Rock chip players cost more, but they also play Divx .avi files not some format that nothing else uses. I own two players and the video quality is definitely better. Like knob said, you can do it but you'd need to do some shopping to find a good deal. He then gave you one example that was cheaper than your budget.

As the others have said, cheap is well, cheap. You can get a piece of rubbish that doesn't even have what its description claims.

MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Good advice given but not taken, take a chance and pay for rubbish

Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

USA US Florida
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:39 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Could you guys clear something up for me?
Is Rockchip a brand of player, or a type /brand of chip used in a player?
Thanks

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:50 am   Post subject:  Re: Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

It is a type /brand of chip used in a player.
The chips are quite powerful for an Mp4 player at 100Mhz, they can multitask, i.e you can browse music and play it at the same time.
I good way to tell a RockChip player is they only play .avi videos and tend to have a miniSd slot. They are often mass produced unbranded and are Chinese made. some are branded by Sumvision ,Onda and Teclast.

Download Post  No rating  
EazyE16

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

NOLA MPx Fan wrote (View Post): ›
EazyE16 wrote (View Post): › Thanks but i dont buy from US websites.

Huh? Three posts up you ask for an American equivalent. Someone gives it to you but then you don't want to buy an American equivalent? I must have missed something there.

Rock chip players cost more, but they also play Divx .avi files not some format that nothing else uses. I own two players and the video quality is definitely better. Like knob said, you can do it but you'd need to do some shopping to find a good deal. He then gave you one example that was cheaper than your budget.

As the others have said, cheap is well, cheap. You can get a piece of rubbish that doesn't even have what its description claims.

You got it wrong. By American equivalent i meant the same MP4 but made in America. So i can find reviews of it and see what people think.
Man you think i'm going to buy rubbish? Look at all the dead mp4 threads and problems people have.
I dont buy from American stores. I bet the majority here dont buy from UK stores.

Download Post  No rating  
mekako
MPx Junkie
MPx Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:13 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I'm waiting for an answer to that one, cause I could answer it?

Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:56 pm   Post subject:  Re: Hi, looking for a cheap MP4 player Back to top 

EazyE16,

UXcell is based in China. They are an actual manufacturer of MP3/MP4 players. So you are buying direct franufacturer. They have sponsored our site in the past with giveaways and prizes. There is also a dedicated section in the forum for UXcell on this site as well.

When you say "...I meant the same MP4 but made in America", you've got to understand that over 80% of the MP4 players are manufacturered in China. A large proportion of that is based in Shenzhen as well. I would think that even iPods are manufactured in China. SO you will find it very hard to find an MP4 manufactured outside of China and if u can, it will be a lot more expensive (mainly labour costs associated). I would bet you the player from Amazon would be manufactured from China too.

In reply to your "...dead mp4 threads" comment, that is mainly due to people incorrect flashing/updating their players with the wrong/incompatible firmware.

I think if you really want assurance, you might best to buy from a retail store rather than an online store. At least you can go back to the store and return or have it fixed rather dealing with a website store. The cost would be higher due to running/overhead costs of running a 'real store' than an online store.

Just alittle backgroun. There are only a handful of MP4 chipset manufacturers, most (if not all) are based in China. The variation is in the casing and the slight modifications to the button configuration and also the features requested by the manufacturer. Most of the "manufacturers" of MP4 players are more like assembly plants. They buy parts from other companies, assemble them, test them and then sell them on with their own brand/packaging.

Hope that helps.

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic