Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Adding memory chips

Reply to topic

mgbuilder

USA US North Carolina
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:48 pm   Post subject:  Adding memory chips Back to top 

My now unhacked player has an extra slot on the board for another memory chip. Does anyone know where or if these chip can be purchased at a reasonable price? I have searched the web using a couple of the chip numbers, but did not turn up anything promising. I suspect a dead player would be the best source. Any tips on soldering a chip to the board without ruining the player or the chip? I generally do not solder things quite that small, but I know overheating will ruin chips. This is probably not a cost effective undertaking, but I would try to add another 1GB chip if I had one.

Download Post  No rating  
mgbuilder

USA US North Carolina
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Here I am responding to my own post......
In case anyone is interested, I opened up my USB flash memory stick, and the chip is of the type used in many MP3 players. Here is a link showing how memory was added to a brand name player http://forums.sickmods.net/index.php?topic=232

I'm not sure I understand all this, but the temptation to modify my player is too much to resist. I might try to add a 2GB chip instead of an additional 1GB. Any thoughts or additional info out there?

Stan

Download Post  No rating  
lite
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeh , most of these players only support up to 2gb ( Some newer ones support up to 8gb ) so id just stick on your 1gb chip ( Unless your player is already 2gb , then you may aswell stick on your 2gb chip as adding 1gb and it not working is the same as adding 2gb and it not working )

Download Post  No rating  
mgbuilder

USA US North Carolina
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I have purchased two of these players. The first one almost definitely supports a maximum of 2GB. The one I am planning on modifying appears to be a very recent version (possibly one of the few truths in the Ebay description) I think the possibility is good that it supports up to 8GB. Is there any way to know for sure? Firmware version?, or possibly version numbers on the circuit board? I can get a 2GB USB flash drive for only a little more than 1GB, so I will add 2GB if possible.

Stan

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic