Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Hello!

Reply to topic

Munk

Canada CA British Columbia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:20 am   Post subject:  Hello! Back to top 

I know this isn't really the forum for questions, but I got a rockchip player a bit ago, and I was surprised to find such a cult following for these things, especially among modding circles. I'm eager as all hell to learn how to dump my player's firmware and mod it, only problem is I haven't got a clue what chip it's using, and I can't crack it open. I ran Chip Genius but all it gave me was:

Code: › Device Name: ++[E:][H:]+USB Mass Storage Device(ROCKCHIP USB MP3 USB Device)(ROCKCHIP USB  SD...

PnP Device ID: VID = 071B PID = 3203
Serial Number: USBV1.00
Revision: 1.00/1.00

Device Type: Standard USB device - USB2.0 Full-Speed (USB1.1)

Chip Vendor: RockChip
Chip Part-Number: RK260X

Product Vendor: (N/A)
Product Model: MP3 Player

Tools on Web: (N/A)

RK260X is probably what I'm looking for, right? The CD that came with this thing has some vague 'rockusb' drivers, but the unit itself looks almost identical to this: http://www.mympxplayer.org/album_showpage.php?pic_id=654 the external speaker slits are a bit different, though.

Also, the s1fwx tool isn't able to find any drives, and the rkusb.tag thing doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing, either. Any ideas?

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:17 am   Post subject:  Re: Hello! Back to top 

Sorry to say you can't dump this player's firmware, it's the old type of rockchip, a RK2608, you need a RK2706 Rockchip player to be able to dump the firmware and mod safely.

Download Post  No rating  
Munk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

That is sorry to say. Is there any way I can do it unsafely? Otherwise thanks a lot, knob.

edit: Also, I noticed here: http://www.mympxplayer.org/rk2608-with-upgraded-firmware-vp52850.html this member has an RK2608a, which is similar if not the same, no, and you mentioned ways he was able to theme his device. Perhaps I missed something in that thread, though.

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:23 am   Post subject:  Re: Hello! Back to top 

Quote: › Is there any way I can do it unsafely?

hi Munk
Yes there is but there is a VERY high risk you will brick your player, if are very desparate to mod your player and if you can afford to buy another if it all goes wrong.

Then you can just flash with another uploaded firmware from a player that looks like yours, but like I say there is no going back and there is a VERY high risk you will kill your player.
The other member in the thread was very lucky, but you might not be.
The choice is yours really.

Download Post  No rating  
Munk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Is there no way to at least expose my hidden partition so I can backup what 'theme' is there before I fiddle around? I tried the way he described how he exposed his, as the turn-on/turn-off screens he described are the same as the ones I receive, etc, but it doesn't seem to expose the hidden partition. It just loads the two drives, one of which is the main drive, and another that just requests a 'disc' to be inserted into it, so I assume it's the mini-sd drive.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic