Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Can Anyone Help ID this player?

Reply to topic

dejunai

USA US California
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:01 pm   Post subject: Question Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

I have been watching the MP4 Player community for some time now. I have wanted to buy a player since I travel so much. But I already lug my laptop around with me, and a 2GB MP3 player is built into my cell phone. So I have resisted.

The other day, the wife asked me about getting a video iPod. She is a school teacher and wants to carry digital videos from our home media center to the school, which uses Macs exclusively. Last year I bought her a 4GB USB thumb drive, for the same purpose. So I was curious why she needed the Video iPod. After some discussion, It was clear she wants to watch videos outside the classroom, etc. So I suggested she look online at the Onda VX767 player. It does TV-Out and she can just plug it directly into the classroom's LCD projector, and skip the USB drive to Desktop Mac to LCD projector. She was very excited about the TV-Out, and the nice size screen.

A day or two later she tells me she has bought an MP4 player online from eBay, and some HK merchant. My heart sank, LOL. She showed me the eBay sale. Clearly the player is not Onda. And from the listed Specs appears to be a Rockchip Firmware, withOUT TV-Out... I've spent a week lazily trying to figure out what player it is ( or clone of ), and what horror to expect when it arrives. I have looked at the Merchant's feedback, and so far no bad feedback from people who ordered the player. In fact all of the people who ordered the 3.0 8GB like she did, gave the Merchant 5 stars as far as I can tell.

Can Anyone Help ID this player? 8GB 3.0" Touch Screen 2M Camera MP4 MP2 FM VIDEO Player

I am suspect of the AMV format, but I am sure I'll live. The text on the page says it supports MiniSD, but the Title over the photo says MicroSD. And the Photo showing the USB connector slot, appears to next to a MicroSD not a MiniSD. I have searched the web looking for similar phrases to the Merchant's description, and it would appear to be a Rockchip Firmware, can anyone confirm, or even specify which firmware. I want to get prepared, with backup firmware and procedures if the player fails.

Ultimately my wife is mad at herself, for buying it on impulse, LOL. And buying a unit that doesn't have the one feature she wants most, TV-Out. Let alone, she has no idea how to convert to AMV video format, so I'll be doing it, every time she wants something new on the player.

She doesn't know it yet, but I have pre-ordered her a Onda VX787. Which will suit her just fine, and means I'll be getting the NoName player when the VX787 arrives later next month.

Any help is appreciated.
-Dejunai

Last edited by dejunai on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:33 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

In spite of the spec saying "AMV" format, this looks more like a Rockchip player.

If you go into the settings option and display the software version and post it here to confirm.

Did the player have any movie clips preloaded, if it did and they were avi format then its a Rockchip player for sure.

USA US California
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:51 pm   Post subject:  Re: Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

The Player has yet to be delivered. I am certain I will know more once it is delivered. My reason for posting here was to try and get a ~jump~start~ based on the available info from the merchant. I was hoping some of the gurus around here could help ID it, and I could prepare by reading up on the appropriate firmware/device.

LOL,
I will be REAL REAL HAPPY if it plays normal AVI's.

-Dejunai

Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom UK England
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:51 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

oh dear

well first off, ban your wife from the computer and sespend her ebay account Smile

basically do not believe much of what is written on the specs for this player, AMV??

AMV is not for this type of player at all, AMV do not go up to this size screen players

problem here is a common one, seller knows nothing about mp players and has copied and pasted info from god only knows where

to me it looks like a ANYKA chip player, but untill you get it you wont fully know as there are no screenshots of the actual interface!!!!

so really its a waiting game, when you get the player post pics and details and we may be ablt to work out what it actually is

it may be a rockchip, but from the rubbish that is written on the site you cant tell anything

where did you order the 787 from then

Download Post  No rating  
dejunai

USA US California
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:03 pm   Post subject:  Re: Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

LOL,

Yes, well I can't ban the wife from the computer or eBay, or she'd ban me from the bedroom. She knows she goofed, and feels bad about it already. And I suspect that indeed the player described and the player shown, wont be the actual player she gets. And I suspect that I will indeed just hafta to wait it out. I will post pix and any data I can get from the device when it arrives.

The Onda VX787 I bought via MP4Global.
http://www.mp4global.com/onda-vx787.html

Thanks for the Help,
-Dejunai

Download Post  No rating  
lionblazeo
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:41 pm   Post subject: Question Re: Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

dejunai wrote (View Post): › I have been watching the MP4 Player community for some time now. I have wanted to buy a player since I travel so much. But I already lug my laptop around with me, and a 2GB MP3 player is built into my cell phone. So I have resisted.

The other day, the wife asked me about getting a video iPod. She is a school teacher and wants to carry digital videos from our home media center to the school, which uses Macs exclusively. Last year I bought her a 4GB USB thumb drive, for the same purpose. So I was curious why she needed the Video iPod. After some discussion, It was clear she wants to watch videos outside the classroom, etc. So I suggested she look online at the Onda VX767 player. It does TV-Out and she can just plug it directly into the classroom's LCD projector, and skip the USB drive to Desktop Mac to LCD projector. She was very excited about the TV-Out, and the nice size screen.

A day or two later she tells me she has bought an MP4 player online from eBay, and some HK merchant. My heart sank, LOL. She showed me the eBay sale. Clearly the player is not Onda. And from the listed Specs appears to be a Rockchip Firmware, withOUT TV-Out... I've spent a week lazily trying to figure out what player it is ( or clone of ), and what horror to expect when it arrives. I have looked at the Merchant's feedback, and so far no bad feedback from people who ordered the player. In fact all of the people who ordered the 3.0 8GB like she did, gave the Merchant 5 stars as far as I can tell.

Can Anyone Help ID this player? MP4 PLAYER LINK

I am suspect of the AMV format, but I am sure I'll live. The text on the page says it supports MiniSD, but the Title over the photo says MicroSD. And the Photo showing the USB connector slot, appears to next to a MicroSD not a MiniSD. I have searched the web looking for similar phrases to the Merchant's description, and it would appear to be a Rockchip Firmware, can anyone confirm, or even specify which firmware. I want to get prepared, with backup firmware and procedures if the player fails.

Ultimately my wife is mad at herself, for buying it on impulse, LOL. And buying a unit that doesn't have the one feature she wants most, TV-Out. Let alone, she has no idea how to convert to AMV video format, so I'll be doing it, every time she wants something new on the player.

She doesn't know it yet, but I have pre-ordered her a Onda VX787. Which will suit her just fine, and means I'll be getting the NoName player when the VX787 arrives later next month.

Any help is appreciated.
-Dejunai

hey i think i know what that is check out tinydeal.com and click on the 3 inch part i would give you the direct link but im on dial up at work at its too much lag but try it out you might find it

Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:41 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

no its not the ones on tinydeal

but problem here is that the same looking body can contaib totally different hardware, if you take this device

http://www.tinydeal.com/images/ta504g_a.jpg

this one is based on a rockchip, but this copies a design from Onda called the VX747 which is TOTALLY different hardware, the vx747 is based on ingenics hardware

so never trust the external look of the case, and also never trust ebay Smile

hope you get the 787 ok, persoanlly as the prices are always fluxuatng i would have held out un til official release for final prices

Download Post  No rating  
lionblazeo
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

makd511 wrote (View Post): › no its not the ones on tinydeal

but problem here is that the same looking body can contaib totally different hardware, if you take this device

http://www.tinydeal.com/images/ta504g_a.jpg

this one is based on a rockchip, but this copies a design from Onda called the VX747 which is TOTALLY different hardware, the vx747 is based on ingenics hardware

so never trust the external look of the case, and also never trust ebay Smile

hope you get the 787 ok, persoanlly as the prices are always fluxuatng i would have held out un til official release for final prices

ioono about that but check out chinavasion.com if you cant find it there then its not the one in the pic thats comming to you

Download Post  No rating  
dejunai

USA US California
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:04 pm   Post subject:  Re: Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

@All...

Thank you all for the prompt and helpful responses. You have confirmed my suspicion that I'll just "hafta wait and see".

Like I said in the initial post, I have been lazily searching the net for the actual player specs, and all I have determined, is that no player that looks like that has those specs, LOL. I figured before I gave up entirely and "waited it out", I'd ask the top notch community here.

Be assured, now that I am soon to be a card device carrying member of the MPx Community, I will report back on the funky NoName player. ( Who Knows... It could be a great player, LOL ).

I'll keep you all updated on what I learn about the NoName Player, and for that matter, the Onda VX787 I purchased for my wife. I am looking forward to having both players, even if the NoName is practically a DUD. I am geeky enuf to enjoy ripping it apart with a soldering iron and playing with the chips, if it's a brick on delivery. Don't know that I'll get 70USD worth of fun out of it, but I am resigned to "wait and see", LOL.

Again, Much thanks to all.
-Dejunai

Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:10 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

dejunai

just a note on these tvout player with tuch screens

The only thing visible through tvout is the movie player, and when in tv out mode you have no access to the screen or any controls as the screen goes blank, in order to even navigate back and forth through the movie you need to leave tvout, go back to the player and do your stuff then send it back to the tv out

to me this s a major floor with these designs, just thought i would mention this because it makes life difficult if you want instant control over the movie for even pausing it

the better option is either the v3000 from ainol as this has a remote control to control the movie or aa player with physical buttons

just thought i would let you know

besides i saw a vid review of the 787 and it really is an appaulingly designed player

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi dejunai,

I've been reading your posts and member replies and it's interesting. Let us know what you get when it arrives.

Some things I would like to add though:
1. Don't try to rush into things and find a firmware for your player to flash it with. Play around with it and test it firstly.

2. Don't post feedback straight away.

3. Backup everything on the player to your computer for safe keeping just in case.

4. I am suspecious of 8GB players, so if you are keen, FORMAT it to and see how much disk space you have after it. There is a common problem with 'hacked' players being 'hacked' to show more memory than it currently has.

5. Did you pay by Paypal? Keep the details handy as you 'may' need to file a dispute, worst case scanerio.

Let us know when your get it and your feedback.

Welcome to the MPx community as well Smile.

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
dejunai

USA US California
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:43 am   Post subject:  Re: Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

@admin

Much thanks for having an interest in my situation. All of your advice is appreciated. I am away from home at the moment, but the wife called me, and let me know the NoName player arrived. LOL, that's the first hurdle cleared, as far as I am concerned. She told me it looks just like the pictures on eBay, LOL, I suppose that's the second hurdle. Smile

It came with an AC2USB charger/adapter ( I asked her nicely not to plug it into any computers ). It charged up just fine from the AC.

Once charged she went thru the basics, it has a DEMO.AVI ( so no AMV issue ) with 3 young ladies singing over anime cutscenes, and there is an individual in a panda costume. I asked her to see if the MicroSD from her phone fit the slot near the USB link port, and indeed, it is MicroSD ( not MiniSD ). We went thru all I could recall from the mercahnt's write up; it has a camera, it has a DV, it has a text reader, it has a file system. It plays music and video. She was able to record WAV audio, but said it sounded very bad, LOL.

On the surface, it would seem to do all it said it would do. I'll consider that the 3rd hurdle, until I get home and put it thru some real paces. LOL

She did buy it via my PayPal account, so I am confident if it goes badly quickly, I have some fall back.

When I get home in a few days, I'll post pictures, and observations.

@makd511

Your input regarding the VX787 is appreciated. Only time will tell if it works well for the specific purposes of my wife.

Like I said she's a school teacher, she teaches English, and more specifically English literature. She teaches "Jack London" and then shows film adaptations of his stories. She has manged for some time now with a large USB drive, which she can carry video on from our home media center to the classroom. Time will eventually tell if the VX787 will work for her, but honestly I think she wants to fill it up with Oprah episodes to watch at lunch and other down-time. LOL

Even if the VX787 doesn't perform well as a TV-Out device, it should act OK as a substitute USB device.

As I have said before, I am eager to explore my new devices, and share my findings, LOL.

I'll know more in a few days.
-Dejunai

Download Post  No rating  
dejunai

USA US California
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 pm   Post subject:  Re: Can Anyone Help ID this player? Back to top 

Hello All,

So I have spent some time with the NoName player. It is indeed a fully functional TouchScreen. It has 5pin USB, MicroSD slot, Headphone Slot, Reset Slider, Power Button, Action Button, Single Speaker, and Camera Lense on the body itself, Along with a ( not quite ) 3.0" LCD.

The Video Plays fine, but it wont play files until they are reduced to QVGA. I wrote two drag and drop batch files for this:

FULLSCREEN to FS PLAYER
Code: › "%~dp0\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -s qvga -b 350k -r 20 -ac 1 "%~dp0\xf_%~n1.avi"

WIDESCREEN to FS PLAYER
Code: › "%~dp0\ffmpeg.exe" -cropleft 50 -cropright 50 -i %1 -s qvga -b 350k -r 20 -ac 1 "%~dp0\pb_%~n1.avi"

FFMPEG converts 40+minute episodes to proper size and format in under 10 Minutes on a 1.7G Laptop. Not nearly as long as the included software that isn't in English.

Essentially, I have FFMPEG convert the AVI to size: QVGA, bitrate: 350K, framerate:20, AudioChannels: 1 (Mono). It has no need to re-encode from the codec up, and thus is fairly quick about it.

The OS appears to be Anyka's iPod ripoff:

However, the device did not come with a PC CAM driver, and none of the drivers I can find for the Anyka PC CAM seem to work for it.

Furthermore, LOL, the NES Games section is a waste of time, because the games dont respond to the touch screen. It came with two other games, a Tetris clone, which is iffy at best with the touch screen and a "Silent Hunter" Clone which locks the player up completely.

The Music player is ~functional~ but playlist support is lousy. You can save and load playlists, but they are saved to an ALT format, which is binary, and not text. I am writing a perl script to allow me to convert standard M3U files, which some success and some issues. LOL, I'll figure it out eventually.

The Digital Camera is fine, The DV is fine. The Camera does not have a flash, which makes it essentially useless indoors, and in low light. The Photo Player is sharp and clean, The MicroSD slot reads and writes fine. The onboard 8GB seems to be an actual 8GB, and not a hack. I was able to copy 7.5 GB of data to the drive, and copy it all back off and none of it was corrupted. It has acceptable transfer rates. Right Now is has 24 Video Files on it totally 3+ GB.

Overall, It's a weak example of a clone MP4 player. I would not recommend it to anybody who can't write their own firmware for it, LOL... Speaking of I can't seem to initiate BIOS as described on other Anyka players, again lack of actual buttons. So I can't upgrade the firmware if I wanted to. I'll post a more detailed review of the player (pro/cons) once I have had a chance to use it for a while. As long as it lasts 6 months or more, I'll be happy with it. LOL

And one more thing: the manual that came with it was in English... The problem tho, is that it was for a different player, Confused

-Dejunai

Download Post  No rating  
makd511
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:17 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

thanks for the mini review on this player, nothing more than expected, but the life span of such a machine, in my experience, wll be lucky if you hit 6 months

ddod you get the 787 yet, i am now a little interested myself but am not site, there is a tempting offer to get the 16GB version for 135$ ... damn tempting, what do you think of the player??

anyway thanks for the mini review, look forward to reading more from you

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic