Read the rules of this websiteRules
View website statisticsStatistics
See who is online at this time.Online Users
Members of our staffStaff

Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Are Chipod Nano clones illegal to import or sell in USA?

Reply to topic

DigitalTD

USA US Massachusetts
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:12 pm   Post subject:  Are Chipod Nano clones illegal to import or sell in USA? Back to top 

Are the Chipod nano look alikes illegal to import and sell in the usa? Aslong as they dont have any apple logo's then it should be fine right?

How bout the Cect P168 mobile phones?

And also the Cect N95?

I see these phones everywhere on ebay and i was wondering if they are even legal to be sold in the USA, I am assuming that aslong as they are unbranded with no trademark logos then everything is fair game?

Download Post  No rating  
David99
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US California
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am   Post subject: Important Re: Are Chipod Nano clones illegal to import or sell in USA? Back to top 

I don't know that the iPOD nano clones are illegal to import but the better question is why would you want to (they are usually such poor products). I suppose that US customs might flag a shipment of iPOD nano clones (based on copywright or patent infringement) if you ordered more than a few - this is hard to say. I had a shipment of just 3 (non iPOD clone) mp4 player samples that I ordered direct from Newman/Newsmy held up in customs just because Newsmy didn't file the correct FCC documents with the shipment. I wouldn't expect most no name manufacturers of iPOD nano clones to FCC certify their products - but hey, I could be wrong.

Now if you are afraid of any kind of copywright infringement - that is hard to say as well. If the product has the Apple logo (or logo tyring to look like) you might get caught by customs immediately. It depends on how much Apple is trying to crack down on this stuff and how busy US customs is (or how proactive US customs is)

As for the CECT phones - same thing applies as above. Are these CECT phones FCC certified - this is especially important as cell phones are classified as "intentional radiators". I do recall the issue of the HiPhone dealer in Europe being fined/busted: http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/11/apple-finally-settings-its-legal-sights-on-the-hiphone/

Most of the people selling this kind of stuff are selling their wares out of China or Honk Kong - keep that in mind.

Good luck!

- Dave

Download Post  No rating  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Personally I haven't seen any players sold at any electronics store here in New Zealand that has the full "Apple" or "iPod" logo on it. There are supermarkets and electronics stores here that sell MP4 players that 'look' like the iPods but there are no distinctive markings on the player to indicate that it's an "iPod" or "Apple" nor are there the logos.
Not sure about everyone else?

MyMPxPlayer.org has now moved to MyMPx.org
Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:14 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

They can have the name "Nano" on the packaging because Apple stole the name from Creative, Apple have no rights to the name "Nano".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/09/apple_vs_creative_nano/

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US California
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:41 pm   Post subject:  Re: Are Chipod Nano clones illegal to import or sell in USA? Back to top 

Yeah, certainly don't think that apple can trademark the name Nano although I assume that they have a registered trademark for "iPod Nano". I think though, if someone massmarketed those nano clones in the USA big box stores like Best Buy and Circuit City that they would have a lawsuit on their hands from Apple.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic