myMPxPlayer.org ::

myMPxPlayer.orgGeneral DiscussionRecommended Chipsets for low end MP3

#1: Idea Recommended Chipsets for low end MP3 Author: Woywegian Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi there
I have been asked by my work to buy a bunmch of low end MP3 players for a promotion and as it's important the price is low I am looking at sourcing these from China.

Of course there are heaps of offers but I am wondering what specs I should be looking for. For example a USB2.00 with an Ali chipset is more expensive than an Action chipset. I have seen lots of reference to Rockwell chipset in the forums. i am not sure which way to go and what to look for.

Is there anything else, is either Samsung or Hynix memory better? What other types should I be looking for.
Due to cost I am looking at 256kb or 512kb, or 1gb not higher.
Many thanks
Woywegian
Talk-n-Tours MP3 Audio WalkingTours

#2:   Author: admin Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Woywegian,

There are heaps of sellers on GlobalSources.com direct from China.

Do you want a player with a screen that plays MP4 videos as well or just a very basic MP3 audio player only? There are lots of options.

Actions are the most common and generally more cheaper than the rest of the solutions used. Rockchip is nice, but alittle more costly, same as the Telechip (Teclast) based players.

Did you have any in mind?

I think you also mean 256MB and 512MB and not KB right? I don't think you can get a 256KB/512KB chip anyway Smile.

#3:   Author: Th3_uN1Qu3 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:08 am

The Actions chipsets are cheapish but SLOW. I think you should go with a Rockchip design with a 1.8 or 2 inch screen. Wink

Also, there is no difference between Samsung or Hynix memory chips, they'll be limited by the controller in the chipset anyway. Razz

#4:  Re: Recommended Chipsets for low end MP3 Author: Woywegian Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 am

Thanks Binh

Ok course I meant mb not kb. Yes a low end player due to cost constraints. Wes there are heaps of sellers, but will they be there in the morning after getting the money? Ah well that's for me to sort out a way to handle.

Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3 yes I probably should and if I was specifying for myself and my own use a very different story but I need to get the intitial cost low but functionality and reliability there.

I Appreciate your answers.
Many thanks

#5:   Author: Th3_uN1Qu3 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 am

Woywegian wrote: › but I need to get the intitial cost low but functionality and reliability there.

That's exactly the point. Actions chipsets are not reliable. Razz Also, they can have their memory hacked, which makes them show a larger amount of memory installed than the real one, creating a lot of issues and sometimes even crashing the firmware if the memory hack is not removed.

This can't be done on Rockchips.

Anyway, you want a basic MP3 audio player, without video capabilities?

#6:   Author: linkiboy Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Here are some players for 26$ a piece

http://dealextreme.com/wholesale/details.vr/sku.4869

#7:  Re: Recommended Chipsets for low end MP3 Author: Woywegian Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Quote: › Anyway, you want a basic MP3 audio player, without video capabilities?

Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3

Yes an MP3 without vid capabilities. So Rockchip set, what about the Ali chipset? Question
Thanks

#8:   Author: NOLA MPx Fan Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:40 am

Rockchip players are video players. They will cost you more and it sounds like you don't need the video function, so despite the recommendation (and I like them as well), you will not want those.

#9:  Re: Recommended Chipsets for low end MP3 Author: knob Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:11 am

I myself don't think of my Rockchip player as a video player. Mine is just a very high quality Mp3 player that just happens to be able to play videos, they will play audio by default when you hit the play button after bootup.

I would recommend a Rockchip for audio quality even if you never use the video function and the price difference is neligible too.

In the UK Rockchips are actually often cheaper
myMPxPlayer.orgGeneral DiscussionRecommended Chipsets for low end MP3

Generated using printer-friendly.