Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

yet another "what player is this"

Reply to topic

dewdude

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:21 pm   Post subject:  yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

Hi, I'm a MPx noob. I hate being a noob at anything, but seeing as I just recently got in to this whole chinese mpx deal...I know nothing and research is confusing.

I picked up a Rockchip 2706 based player after the theft of my ipod becuase the price was right and it looked cool. The instructions only identify it as an RM3000.

The manual did state the firmware was upgradable with the RM970 firmware from Ramos....but those units don't have touchscreens and this one does.

It's an 8gig (non-hacked) player and I love what I've got....but the translation is horrible and I'd like to basically just see if there was some firmware upgrade for it...although from what I see on the forums is these unbranded players can't be upgraded.

I picked this thing off eBay for $70 with shipping, which is why I bought it. Here's some pictures i pulled off the auction site. I've not taken any internals as I'm not taking the thing apart..i'd never get it back together.

I thank you in advance for any information/help/light you guys can toss me.

-Jay

Download Post  No rating  
knob
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

United Kingdom European Union
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:33 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

If this is a RK27xx player, then you can back up your firmware and then mod your backup, just as good as an upgrade, look here:-

http://mympxplayer.org/firmware-extraction-for-new-rockchip-rk27xx-series-players-vt10856.html

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:48 pm   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

Yeah, I did the rkusb.tag method and extracted the folders and then made not only about 6 copies here but uploaded it to the firmware.

it is indeed a RK27xx player...the system info identifies it as RK2706...which the ebay ad i bought the thing from told me.

as far as modding...i know nothing..i'm reading things but like...i honestly don't know where to even begin...there's entirely too many tutorials on how to do things and it makes my head want to explode, but i'm sorting through them and hopefully will get to the level a lot of people seem to be at.

Download Post  No rating  
dewdude

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:22 am   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" - I've got c Back to top 

Ok, so I bit the bullet trying to figure out what hardware was under the hood and removed the back of my player. Here's the numbers I wrote down from all the chips in the unit and what I could find out about them

samsung K9HCG08U1M - NAND flash
Winbond W9812G6GH - SDRAM
RK2706 (we know this)
LN4890 - no idea - no name (i'm assuming it's some kind of opamp based on chip designation - but most i've dealt with start with LM)
JST916T - touchscreen possibly? - another no-nane chip
5800C - no name chip. DAC...FM?

*edit: the LN4890 seems to be an opamp...however, I can find no datasheets. The JST916T is a touchscreen controller...verified by an archived posting on this forum. The 5800C is the mystery chip. I cannot find ANY information about this chip anywhere. no datasheets, nothing. I also think I'm missing a chip or two becuase there SHOULD be some kind of FM radio chip in there. Is it possible they snuck things under the LCD?*

Last edited by dewdude on Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
dewdude

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:19 pm   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" - photos Back to top 

here...photos.

main menu for player

music player

this is an overall shot of the player after moving the battery but before moving the speaker

after i moved the speaker but covered up the side a little. you can see the mystery chip under it.

the rest of these are detail shots of the board in no particular order

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 am   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

LN4890 is NatLinear's clone of National Semiconductor LM4890. It's pin compatible, and from your pictures you can see that the speaker is directly connected across its outputs.

http://www.natlinear.com/en/AA.html

The 5800C looks like the small FM ICs found in many PMPs, and although its pinout is different from the '5767, there's this FM module with a very similar chip:

http://wiki.s1mp3.org/Image:Dxt_5807_chip.jpg

...and this AR1010 also seems to have the same pinout (coincidentally, this FM board looks exactly like the ones in our MPx).
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8770

It's quite safe to conclude that it's the FM receiver.

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I realized the LN4890 was an opamp soon as I got the higher resolution photos and saw it was across the output...including a solder splash that apparently wasn't doingt anything cuz the volume of the speaker didn't get any louder...i can actually turn my headphones up and get more volume than the internal speaker.

the 5800 I wasn't sure if it was the DAC or FM. The JST196T crosses to a FM7843 which is a touch-screen controller...although I saw something that reffered to it as something suitable for "medical implants" and didn't mention anything about it being a touchscreen controller...that could of been a badly translated page too...but I've seen several posts that cross it to an FM7843. Good enough for me.

So...this leaves one question...where-tf is the DAC? Is it possibly on the otherside of the board squeezed under the LCD? They didn't build a DAC into the RK2706 core did they?

*edit: hey...i found this page: http://s.pudn.com/upload_log_en.asp?e=1187327 that has this to say: "1. 5800C-DEMO.rar,170KB,downloads 0 ,5800 chips to do with FM radio, 5800C-DEMO board software." So apparently you were right, that 5800 is the FM tuner.*

Download Post  No rating  
dewdude

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 am   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

So...after the power came back on and I returned home, I went back to digging for more info on that 5800C chip....here's a google translated page to probably the closest thing I've seen to a datasheet for that chip:

http://en.pudn.com/downloads159/sourcecode/comm/mtk/detail716740_en.html

Best I can guess is it's made by MTK...but searching for MTK 5800C yields nothing. The best I can figure out...MTK is Mediatek which I know makes a bunch of DVD player chips (I've had 6 DVD players...all with essentialy MTK SoCs)...but they also make stuff for HDTV and GPS...they bought Analog Devices Othello and SoftBand products and now make cell-phone chips too. Thier webiste doesn't mention ANYTHING about thier parts. So, the mystery is solved...somewhat...

I'd still like to find my DAC...but I'm not removing the LCD to do it.

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:35 am   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

Quote: › Portable Media player solution
Hight performance ARM and DSP dual core processer
Embed 8-bits hardware ECC, support full line Nand Flash
TFT controller, support 26000 color and MCU/RGB panel
USB high speed controller, up to 4MB write speed
Embed high performance audio CODEC, HI-FI quality sound
Support SD/SDHC/MMC flash card
All video format supported, include
AVI,RM,RMVB,WMV,ASF,FLV,DAT,MPG,MP4,VOB,3GP,solution up to 800*480
JPEG, BMP, GIF decoder, support thumbnail, zoom, rotate, and slideshow display
Media library manager, sorted by ID3 and fast seach
Support 8/16 bits game simulator
Support TV output
Ebook reader, support slideshow and bookmark function
Multi language support, multi font display
MiniOS and GUI system, support aplha picture, fade functions
LQFP128 package
Yes, the DAC is integrated just like most of the other audio SoCs. I know ATJ2093/97 have the option to use an external SPDIF DAC, and probably the Rockchips as well but it's not done because it's higher cost.

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 am   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

Yeah, the conclusion I had come to was somewhere in the die of the RK2706...obviously a cost issue...any good SoC has an audio codec. Still have no clue what core it's based off....it's doubtful it's a Wolfston core....it might be a clone of one...whatever it is....the output is rather good.

Those specs you printed are a little better than what I found for the RK2706..however...it seems that no two chips are alike.

Now I'm focusing more on what video resolutions the thing actually plays. I've got an MP4 that's 624x480 with the mp4v fourcc for video and mp4a fourcc for audio and the thing tells me "Format Error". But I've read a bunch of things that have also said they only support 800x600 for RVMB and something else for other formats.

Oh well...half the fun I guess is encoding stuff seeing what works and what doesn't.

BTW, for those reading...the firmware for this player has been uploaded.

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:10 am   Post subject:  Re: yet another "what player is this" Back to top 

Try 320x240 or 640x480 Xvid.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic