Read the rules of this websiteRules
View website statisticsStatistics
See who is online at this time.Online Users
Members of our staffStaff

Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

got this player ... anything i can do to modify it?

Reply to topic

mikeb2009

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am   Post subject: Important got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

I just got this player (see photo).

I'd like to find out what I can change on it, what firmware is available, how to mod it if possible, etc, etc...

Firmware info:
MP4 Player
ASDK_V54
2009/04/03

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

If I need to upload firmware to the forum, please let me know how to do it.

One of the bigger complaints I have about it, is that the random function really does not work.

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:27 am   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

Use s1res v4.0 to extract the firmware and keep a backup. Modifying it is not suggested.

Turkey
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Keen on MPx players

USA US Georgia
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

is it possible that that firmware is the same as this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-REAL-4GB-4G-4th-MP4-MP3-FM-E-BOOK-PLAYER-CC-B4g-01_W0QQitemZ290314945373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Players?hash=item43981e835d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A28|294%3A50

i want to buy this. anyway, dont upgrade it without looking at the instructions
right in front of you while doing it...
otherwise, itll be bricked(smashed into pieces buy that brick Twisted Evil Mr. Green )

Download Post  No rating  
mikeb2009

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

MaVi_CoCuK:
Is that the correct firmware in the link you gave above? Is there something new in that firmware?

ikesmasher:
The screen shot looks the same. Is there some way to make sure I don't kill it? Is backing-up the firmware a sure way to be able to restore the player even if I put the wrong firmware on it?

Thanks all

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:25 pm   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it will work. The UI of all Actions players are very similar, but the hardware may be wired differently.

Quote: › Is backing-up the firmware a sure way to be able to restore the player even if I put the wrong firmware on it?
No. It will give you a better chance though. Unless you are very familiar with the hardware and the programming skills required to write your own firmware and/or modify an existing one to work with your hardware, don't do it.

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 am   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

At least i know it is an "Actions" player.

Where might I get firmware upgrades in the future? Seller doesn't have info.

In several months, if there is an update, I'd like to be able to access it. Does the manufacturer make them available? Is this site the source for updates? Any others?

On this particular player, or a similar Actions one, has anyone modified it in some way to make the random feature actually work? I know it's a long shot...

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 am   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

No, no, no, and no.

(The amount of users here complaining that they bricked their player with bad firwmare should've been enough evidence to convince you...)

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:58 am   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

Oh, I really don't care if I brick the player at this point. It is practically a brick already in its current form and it was only $15 including postage.

Really, it is very poorly designed. Hopefully whoever wrote the firmware for this was fired. It's unfortunate to have something look so good (to me) and not have a decent programmer finish the job.

I just thought I might give the thing a chance, oh well. Smile

Thanks anyway!

If anyone has any more insight beyond "no, no, no" let me know. Rolling Eyes Wink Wink

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:36 am   Post subject:  Re: got this player ... anything i can do to modify it? Back to top 

Indeed, we are only warning you because we've seen others here ignore the advice and then complain because they killed their player.

I suggest you extract the firmware with s1res and upload it here for those who may want it to revive their dead player. Getting the board ID and CPU/display part#s would also be very helpful.

If you know/want to learn about hardware of your player, s1mp3.org has a lot of information on yours and similar devices, and they're working on a project to write their own firmware too. Currently they're at the research stage.

Those who've never used an s1 before will find it somewhat difficult to operate, but remember that these devices are almost the "standard" in China for basic MP3/MP4 players.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic