There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Sigmatel recovery guide (Updated)

Reply to topic

Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm   Post subject: Note Sigmatel recovery guide (Updated) Back to top 

Here's a quick guide in recovering your Sigmatel-based player after a bad flash.

First check the firmware version you got. If it's an older version that is made up of 4 files and contains usbmsc.sb, follow the guide below. If it is made up of more files, usually 6, and contains hostlink.sb, then skip to the newer firmware section of this guide.

For older firmware (that contains usbmsc.sb):

1. Install this program.

2. Get your player into recovery mode by holding Play for 10 seconds, then plugging the player in with the button held. Hold it for another 10 seconds then release it.

3. Your computer should detect a "Player Recovery Device", point the driver search to the folder you installed the firmware updater in.

4. After the drivers are installed, copy working firmware to the firmware updater folder, overwriting the original ones. Start the firmware updater, it should allow you to flash the player and return it to working condition.

Note: If the update program mentioned above does not work, try this one. Extract it in a folder of your choice, copy the firmware in its folder and see if it can flash your player. Keep the other one installed though, you will need it too as this one doesn't contain the drivers necessary for your computer to recognize your player as a "recovery device".

For newer firmware (that contains hostlink.sb):

1. Download and install this program.

2. Get your player into recovery mode by holding Play for 10 seconds, then plugging the player in with the button held. Hold it for another 10 seconds then release it.

3. Your computer should detect a "Player Recovery Device", point the driver search to the folder you installed the firmware updater in.

4. After the drivers are installed, you can try the firmware bundled with this program, it is in the Binary folder. If it doesn't work, proceed same as above, copy firmware files to the firmware updater folder, overwriting the original ones, and flash away. Wink

General notes (twice as long as the guide itself Laughing):

If the program displays an error, try different firmware. Version numbers don't matter, just check that they are for a similar player. I also recommend you not to use FileFixer.

If the program gets stuck and keeps searching forever, your player is most likely NOT in recovery mode. Follow steps 2 and up again, the screen of the player should stay blank during the entire process, or light up when you connect it to the computer but go blank again after a few seconds. On some players the screen goes white after you connect it to the computer. Another possibility is that the firmware's USB driver is incompatible with the player's chipset, and you should try another one.

Hint: When the USB driver contained in the firmware (usbmsc.sb or hostlink.sb) is compatible with your chipset and you get a succesful flash, the player will be recognized as an USB disk. In this case, do not overwrite this file when you try new firmware, only change the other ones. The firmware is modular, so there is a possibility of some firmware to work properly with the USB driver from another version. Well, if you got here already, in the worst case you'll end up with a flash drive in the shape of an MPx player. Laughing

If your player is stuck on a white screen or with something displayed, you should try to reset the player first. Some players have a reset hole on the back (mine does), use a pencil lead or a needle to press the button inside, the screen should go blank. Now follow the corresponding guide again from step 2.

If the player is stuck with the screen on and it doesn't have a reset switch, then you have to cut battery power. If you are afraid to take the device apart to remove the battery, just leave it till it drains by itself (may take a couple days). Or you can try opening the new update program, which automatically resets the player if it can detect it. Some players that get stuck on a white screen power down after connecting the USB lead for 20 seconds or more and then disconnecting it, you should try that too.

If you have a similar working player, you can use this program to get a firmware dump. Follow the program's directions and ignore any warnings it may give you, then follow the guide to recover your broken player.

Good luck! Cool

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
arimul

Indonesia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:17 am   Post subject: Snif ! Re: Sigmatel recovery guide (Updated) Back to top 

Dear All,
I have Sigmatel MP3 Player that have chip :

STMP 3502
L100-CA4

NAND 1 Chip 512 MB Hynix.

Please help me get my correct firmware.

best regards,

Ari

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:32 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Please tell us the screen size of your player and its features so we have a better chance to help.

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Download Post  No rating  

Vietnam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:41 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sigmatel recovery guide (Updated) Back to top 

Are there anyway to extract firmware from a Sigmatel player ? I haven't seen any software can do this or tutorial about this before. Sad

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:59 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

newbie wrote (View Post): ›
Are there anyway to extract firmware from a Sigmatel player ? I haven't seen any software can do this or tutorial about this before. Sad

Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote (View Post): ›
If you have a similar working player, you can use this program to get a firmware dump. Follow the program's directions and ignore any warnings it may give you, then follow the guide to recover your broken player.

I think this answers your question. Wink

Download Post  No rating  

Vietnam
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:05 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sigmatel recovery guide (Updated) Back to top 

Code: › http://www.mympxplayer.org/mp4-watch-how-to-firmware--vp42685.html

Quote: › SigmaTel Firmware Extractor
JimC on Meizu.com/bbs

WARNING: Cannot retrieve device capabilities. (50) The request is not supported.

Found 1 removable SCSI storage device(s):

1. I:\ SigmaTel MSCN v0100

WARNING: Cannot recognize the communication protocol (version: 0x2) used by this
SigmaTel device.
To continue please enter capital 'Y':

I have already tried but after pressing the "Y" then the program exits immediately and no firmware is extracted. Can you help me please ?

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Make sure you type a CAPITAL "Y", aka with the Shift key or Caps Lock turned on.

If it doesn't work it means your version can't be extracted, sorry.

Download Post  No rating  

Vietnam
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:59 am   Post subject:  Re: Sigmatel recovery guide (Updated) Back to top 

Quote: › http://forum.easydigi.com ╠╣⌐╧┬╘╪
╗╢╙╡╟┬╝╩┬δ╫╝╥╨╫Θ═╒╛╧┬╘╪╕ⁿ╢αMP3╫╩╘┤
╫≈╒▀║JimC on Meizu.com/bbs

WARNING: Cannot retrieve device capabilities. (50) The request is not supported.

Found 1 removable SCSI storage device(s):

1. I:\ SigmaTel MSCN v0100

WARNING: Cannot recognize the communication protocol (version: 0x2) used by this
SigmaTel device.
To continue please enter capital 'Y': Y

Found 8 logical partitions:

1. partition(1)\ data (data) 962560KB
2. partition(4)\ system bootmanager.sb 0KB
3. partition(5)\ system usbmsc.sb 512KB
4. partition(6)\ system stmpsys.sb 256KB
5. partition(7)\ system resource.bin 13824KB
6. partition(Cool\ system (null) 13824KB
7. partition(9)\ system (null) 13824KB
8. partition(10)\ system (null) 256KB

Please specify the directory under which the firmware will be saved.

Ready to begin to extract the firmware.
Please enter capital 'Y' to continue: Y

Extracting and saving file usbmsc.sb ...
Extracting and saving file stmpsys.sb ...
Extracting and saving file resource.bin ...
................................................................................
................................................................................

ERROR: Cannot create file. (3) The system cannot find the path specified.
(294):.\FirmwareExtract.cpp

SUCCESS: Firmware extraction completed.

Now exiting, please press any key to continue...

Here is the extraction progress. Can you tell me that the firmware was successfully extracted or not please ? Thank you very much !

Edited (2) : I have read this post, so there is no way for me to modify the theme of my MP4 player Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ?

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:38 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yes, your firmware was extracted successfully. You can use it as a backup, if you fuck your firmware up you can always flash this one back to restore your player to full functionality. Wink

And no, SigmaTel firmwares can't be themed yet. Maybe Dancemammal will make his firmware editor support SigmaTel devices too, but right now he's busy coding a Rockchip firmware extractor so i don't know if he'll do it.

Download Post  No rating  
arimul

Indonesia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

dear Th3_uN1Qu3,
My MP3 player image / photo is similar with this product :
http://sxcom.en.alibaba.com/product/50039594/50183860/MP3_Players/MP3_Player_R_989_.html
or
http://www.mympxplayer.org/image-asp239.html

the position of button, screen size, and specification is similar.

with specifications :
1 X AAA Battery,
+FM
+7 Colors display
+FM recording
+Voice Recording
+ No Telephone book
+ No Lyric display

chip :
Sigmatel STMP 3502
L100-CA4

NAND 1 Chip 512 MB Hynix.

please help me.
best regards,

Ari

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Try this firmware: http://rs211.rapidshare.com/files/47672273/120MR_firmware.zip

Follow the instructions in the guide to recover your player.

Download Post  No rating  
stode

Philippines
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:15 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

thanks.i manage to make this 1g stmp3500 to a usb flashdisk.i'll try tomorrow if i can bring this alive as a player.

Download Post  No rating  
uninet

Indonesia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:05 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

well, it's a great guide guys......
brought my miserable dead player at least to be recogniced as usb disk.
maybe someday I'll find the right firmware to make it "rockin"
my player with stmp 3504,1gb samsung 704,on board szeway s-768a-061108

Download Post  No rating  
uninet

Indonesia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

well, it's a great guide guys......
brought my miserable dead player at least to be recogniced as usb disk.
maybe someday I'll find the right firmware to make it "rockin"
my player with stmp 3504,1gb samsung 704,on board szeway s-768a-061108

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

STMP3504? If it has a 1.5 inch screen (square), try my firmware: http://www.mympxplayer.org/sigmatel-firmware-well-mp4-play01-stmp3500-df719.html

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic