Advertisement

Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

Sunplus SPMP3050A - General

Reply to topic

djo_rides_ET2

France European Union
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 am   Post subject:  Sunplus SPMP3050A - General Back to top 

Hello there !

Like everybody I bought a PMP on Ebay and I received two of these :

Actually I just managed to extract the Firmware file and to copy on my hard drive the 2 virtual disks the player uses.

I create this topic to discuss with interested persons on working on the 8-Bit games emulator built in it. The manual says that the pmp can play 8-bit NES games and even 16-bit SNES games with a firmware upgrade. However the game emulator is located in a separate file from the firmware one that is called 3050ABin0.bin in the Resource folder of the first virtual disk.

I actually use IDA Pro Disasembler to understand the working of the pmp software and Hex Workshop to examine the files. To manage the work with the pmp I use the FRM PRO tool that I found in the download section of this forum.

Maybe this pmp has similar structures than other or maybe someone have some extra info for me.

Let's break this chinese trick !

Wink

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:54 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

So the NES emulator ain't working from the get go eh? I don't think it'd be hard to hack, but there are just too many models out there and too few interested people that have programming knowledge as well as time and players. Razz

I would've loved to have a hack at this device if i had one, but unfortunately i don't have one, and i also have to "hack" a bit at people if you know what i mean.

Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
djo_rides_ET2

France European Union
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:37 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sunplus SPMP3050A - General Back to top 

Hey, thanks for your reply "The Unique" !
I was sad that nobody took care of my post !

I think the emulator is the same between the different pmps that use a SUNPLUS chip. I have progressed a little, but I'm still trying to understand if the corean engineers who made this device used an existing emulator they get to work on a sunplus cpu or if they made it especially for it.

So if you have a pmp wich emulates NES games, please share your knowledge !

I can even send you the firmware I've extracted from this SPMP3050A !

Let's break the chinese emulator !!

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Assuming by the amount of microshite code they use, i'd say they just ripped it off a PC emu. Have no idea which one though, sorry.

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:09 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

it uses a older sunplus chip and that type of player you have is a bit notorious for being unreliable quality wise.

Good luck with breaking the code and improving the firmware - there are newer plauers with an improved sunplus chip, which handle NES emulation better.

Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

Finland
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sunplus SPMP3050A - General Back to top 

Hi,
I've have a device based on SPMP3051A. I believe it's practically identical to SPMP3050A.
I'm interested in getting alternative os(probably Linux or maybe something lighter if ram is not enough) running on this.

I have collected some pieces around the net and have pin layouts of the chip and description of the USB interface(comes with frm pro also). As well as some interesting code that pokes the device through USB.

My plan would be to get modified Nintendo ds emulator to run the firmware and then use the emulator to reverse engineer rest of the chip. I am not interested in working to extend the supplied firmware.

I have mostly concentrated on reverse engineering Ati 3d cards and dvb-t sticks so far so this is a bit difficult thing to do just by myself.
Having someone with ARM9/7 assembly knowledge would help with this a lot.

I use Linux to do my coding so ideally Nintendo ds emulator used for the task should be Linux based.

Download Post  No rating  
ladas

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 am   Post subject:  my SPMP3051A is dead pls help me Back to top 

i normaly firmware with DEFAULTFW but now my mp4 is dead and shining a diod but dont work usb pls HEEEELP

Download Post  No rating  
djo_rides_ET2

France European Union
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:40 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sunplus SPMP3050A - General Back to top 

Hi Aapot,
I'm interested on using Linux on these pmp too, and your skills in reverse engineering are welcome ! Twisted Evil

So to use linux on this we have to use the image loader the sunplus chip uses to load his firmware. Basically, when power comes ON the spmp loads a short hex asm to load the firmware image and access to the 2 images the system uses. To use Linux on it we have to study the work of this loader to make it load our boot... Rolling Eyes many other things to do !

All your documentation is welcome !
Sunplus documentation is hard to find so I'll share it with you !

Razz

Download Post  No rating  
zenitraM

Spain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

djo_rides_ET2 wrote (View Post): ›
Actually I just managed to extract the Firmware file and to copy on my hard drive the 2 virtual disks the player uses.

I also have a Sunplus SPMP3050A, from DealExtreme. How did you get to extract the firmware? I might help - as mine, for some reason, also has a GB/GBC emulator Very Happy

Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

Finland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:18 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

What model?

Download Post  No rating  
zenitraM

Spain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

aapot wrote (View Post): ›
What model?

This one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9504

Mine has a different firmware than another ones, and is slightly different but can play GB, GBC games and also a strange format of games (came with 3 on the memory) made by Sunmedia that seem to be made for the player - look at the forum on that page for more info.

Venezuela
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The nes emulator in 3050a/3051a must be exclusive for the chip (remenber is a ARM CPU class) in some model run slow in other in 100%, the roms maps are not all compatibles (is similar to nesticle nes emulator for DOS).

In upgrade firmware option inside menu is the key for enter to pmp hardware/software, is need get:

*SUNPLUS 3050A especs...
*Memory space...(Hex)
*Languaje (probably C...or ASM for that CPU)

In PMP there is almost the next code:

*Codecs
*Emulator
*Viewer
*Player

The "OS" size probably is around 2/4Megabytes (or more!)...sorry for my english...i'm from venezuela!

+ Info please to:

joel.zerpa@gmail.com

Download Post  No rating  
pove

Spain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I also have this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9504

But with the Sunplus 3052A.

I've tried to use the sunplus FRM Tool, but it doesn't found the device.

Any idea? Do I need some driver??

-------------------

[es]
Yo también tengo este PMP, al igual que zenitraM:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9504

Pero mi chipset es Sunplus 3052a.

Quisiera modificar su firmware (actualmente V. 3., y creo que hay una v. 4 pero no se donde consegirla). He intentado hacerlo con la utilidad Sunplus FRM Tool, pero me dice que no se encientra el dispositivo.

¿Alguna idea? ¿Debo instalar algún driver antes?

Download Post  No rating  
zenitraM

Spain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

zerdrakon wrote (View Post): ›
In upgrade firmware option inside menu is the key for enter to pmp hardware/software, is need get:

Mine doesn't have that option. When plugged while pressing the UP key, it's detected as a webcam, but i can't seem to find the drivers for it to work on FRM Pro.

El mio no tiene esa opcion, si lo enchufas al USB mientras pulsas el boton de UP lo detecta como una webcam pero no encuentro los drivers..

pove wrote (View Post): ›
Pero mi chipset es Sunplus 3052a.

3052A? On DealExtreme forum someone who opened it said it was a 3050A.. have you opened yours? I haven't..

Does your firmware have a blue background on the menu? Or is it like the pictures shown on DX?

---

3052A? En DealExtreme alguien que lo abrió dijo que era un 3050A.. has abierto el tuyo? Puede que esa sea la razón del firmware distinto.

Tu firmware tiene un fondo azul en el menu? O es como el que aparece en DealExtreme?

Si quieres agregame al MSN y lo miramos.. yosoyzenitram en gmail

Keen on MPx players
Keen on MPx players

Finland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

pove wrote (View Post): ›
I also have this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9504

But with the Sunplus 3052A.

I've tried to use the sunplus FRM Tool, but it doesn't found the device.

Any idea? Do I need some driver??

You need this driver: http://light.dnsprotect.com/~blld/spca3050/spca3050a_driver.zip

Be sure to backup A, B drives as well as firmware and all numbers from "RSV info" before you do any modifications. Also know that these RSV parameters might change unexpectedly erasing/invalidating all content you have saved on the flash. RSV is something like partition table.

The "good stuff" isn't in Default.fw, it's in AIMG.
AIMG and BIMG are normal fat partitions which can be mounted under linux with "mount -o loop AIMG /media/foo". I don't think you can do this with windows.
Nero or some other program specialized in cdrom images and the like might be able to open these.
VirtualBox + damn small linux might be a good combo for this also.

Once mounted, you can find the "good stuff" in .bin files at root folder.

It is my belief that this kind of firmware upgrade can be used to de-brick devices. (I messed up the RSV once and got it back by reflashing).

On some devices you might also need to bring you device to a special state that allows firmware updates.
In this mode you should not see any picture from the screen.
On my device identical to uxcell cyclone (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10238),
I found a hidden button at the line in connector.
This device is based on spca3052a.
I'd think spca3050a and spca3052a are mostly compatible.

Download Post  No rating  
Sponsored Links

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic