Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free $

Reply to topic

monstertunes

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:02 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

michiganjfrog wrote (View Post): › The best it can do is keep your peas relatively fresh. On the other hand...

On the other hand we were unknown participants in a scientific experiment.

Download Post  No rating  
crazy.neo
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

Portugal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:36 am   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

Just some quick questios:
1. Won't this make my LCD display/Battery leak? I think these MP4 displays contain mercury, and I would not like a food poisoning today... Nor tomorrow...
2. How to avoid a possible crack in the display, not only from intensive freezing, but also when I take it out of the freezer to a warmer temperature (ever tryed on a glass? Believe me, it works...)

Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:32 pm   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

The only thing freezing can do is reduce thermal noise, and only while the components are being exposed to the low temperatures.

In other words -- unless there has been a double-blind test with conclusive results, this is nothing more than the placebo effect.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Australia AU South Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Any PHP members, please ignore this post.

i'll like to say that the freezing method really did do something to my player.

Well, i've retrieved my old test sample files of the before and after recordings.

There are a total of 3 different songs, so a total of 6 samples.

i've renamed them to suit the anonymity of the double-blind test.

So simply, each sample pair are named Song 1, Song 2, and Song 3, to differentiate between the song types.
And each before/after tracks are named A and B randomly. i'll not disclose which is the before and after.

So have a listen at all of the 3 sample pairs and give me some feedback. i'll suggest that you use earphones so that you'll not miss any softer details (if there is).

Which type (A or B) of each pair (1, 2, and 3) sounds better to you?

All sample files located here http://www.savefile.com/projects/808530969

Please do not flame me regarding the method of recording. i do not own professional equipments, but all samples were recorded using the same computer hardware.

T39 doesn''t sound as good as my T29
Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

To address a few questions...

The screens do not contain mercury as far as i know, and the battery won't leak. Neither will the screen break, just put it in the fridge after you remove it from the freezer, and then wrap it in a cloth and put it in the coldest corner of your house, because the key of this operation is that the device should warm up as slowly as possible. Wink

I have a fine ear and there clearly IS a difference after the freezing process, which REMAINS even after the device has reached room temperature.

As about the double-blind test, there are a few samples of "before" and "after" available for download, and there is a perceptible improvement in the "after" ones. Just listen and conclude for yourself.

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Resigned: SigmaTel STMP3504 <> 2GB <> 1.5 inch TFT
Bye-bye Actions! (at least for now)
Download Post  No rating  
lolita
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:13 pm   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/839/analysisallsj0.png

My ears agree with the above results -

1: No difference
2: No difference
3: No difference

Although there *are* differences between each of the sample pairs, this can be attributed to

- The samples were MP3 compressed, and some MP3 compression artifacts can be heard
- The recording process. I'm assuming you just connected the player's output to the input of the computer's sound card (which model? integrated or separate?); most common computer sound cards don't have a very high S/N ratio so the result has some noise introduced.
- Other noise sources in the environment (your monitor, printer, scanner, cell phone, television, etc.)

Try recording the same sample multiple times and compare the resulting (uncompressed) files in a sound editor after aligning them; you'll find they do differ by what looks like a significant amount. Now if someone else did the same, and told you one set was recorded after freezing the player/holding it upside-down for 24 hours/sleeping with it/etc. you might believe that was what caused the difference! Very Happy

Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:06 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Again, any PHP members please ignore this post.

Well, this topic could go on forever. What i'm trying to say is that in the 3 before files, there is "something" distinct about them. And the 3 after files, the distinct sounding "thing" is gone. Again, i want to stress that i do not have any professional/scientific equipment to do the tests.

lolita , you're probably talking in a scientific way to analyse the output files. But was the Pepsi & Coke taste test done using equipment to analyse the 2 drinks? No, it was done by having people tasting with their tastebuds.

So what i'm trying to say is, listen to the beginning of the 6 samples. You Will notice a difference of 3 samples having "something", and 3 samples which do not have the "thing". And it just so coincides with the before and after sequence recordings. Too much of a coincidence.

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:39 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

These two samples are the ones which prove that the freezing method actually works.

Before: http://www.savefile.com/files/595126
After: http://www.savefile.com/files/595129

Analyze the waveforms, but you don't even need to do that, as the background noise in the "before" sample is clearly noticeable, while in the "after" sample it's all gone.

And if you argue that it may have something to do with the compression algorithms or audio input to the computer, if you're the kind of guy who has $20000+ worth of audiophile equipment and listens to music in HD-DVD format, then you're not the kind of guy who should have anything to do with MPx players in the first place.

I mean i can hear the compression artifacts in MP3s with bitrates lower than 192kbps even on my C-Media CMI8738 soundcard hooked to an amp and a pair of speakers which aren't worth more than $250, but a MPx player's audio quality is much, much lower, and compression artifacts in MP3 audio are the least thing to worry about.

Yet, these nifty little devices actually play music, and that's what they were designed for. If you aren't happy with yours then go buy a higher quality player like an Archos or an Iriver, and stop bitching about us here, we're just trying to get a little bit more out of our cheapo players. Wink

MEIZU M6SL Cool <> black <> 4GB <> 2.4 inch TFT <> Touchpad <> XviD 20FPS <> 25 hours battery (music) <> Wolfson DAC Very Happy <> Sony earbuds
Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:15 am   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

Anybody can help?
I am looking in eBay for a freezer enough small to be carried in my backpack in order to keep my chipod freeze.
Enclosed is the smaller I've get

Small freezer

It's not enough small... the car battery needed is the main problem
any suggestion?

PS.: I wonder if I found a way to connect my chipod battery to the can freezer Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DaremoS on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:46 am; edited 3 times in total

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:17 am   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

DaremoS wrote (View Post): › Anybody can help?
I am looking in eBay for a freezer enough small to be carried in my backpack in order to keep my chipod freeze.

Small freezer

Is not enough small any suggestion?

Gosh!! my mouse get freeze Evil or Very Mad

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:34 am   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

Small freezer

any suggestion?

PS.: I wonder if I found a way to connect my chipod battery to the can freezer Rolling Eyes

Just put it in the regular freezer when you can go without it a couple of days. Mine went from the freezer, to the refrigerator, to wrapped in a towel until I was certain there was no moisture.

Cool
Download Post  No rating  
lattesurf
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:59 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

DaremoS , why would you want to freeze/cool your player on the go?

Download Post  No rating  
Th3_uN1Qu3
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Romania European Union
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:12 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

lattesurf wrote (View Post): ›
DaremoS , why would you want to freeze/cool your player on the go?

Well, he would probably put a few beers in there as well. Very Happy

Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:56 am   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

Ok guys the thing goes this way...

If you have see my freezer it can hold a can freeze all the time, the idea is to put my MP4, not the Meizu nor the Teclast... the one I have for tests, between the can and the freezer, I suppose that the LDX LD-696 will be freeze for ever... producing the best sound... according with posted messages in this thread.

I believe that this theory applies very well to cds as I've read in some other eccentric forums. Anyway today after a pot breakfast I'm on the mood to try this method.

All the apparels can go in my backpack, of course with a cushion to not freeze my back.... the car battery of 12v must be carried in a small wheel cart to provide energy.

The other option is to load .FLAC files in my device instead of MP3 in order to have the best sound ripped from a freeze cd.

Not forgetting to use my best earphones, the really unknown Korean Cresyn LMX-E630

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

China
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:23 am   Post subject:  Re: How to improve your Chipod audio/video quality for free Back to top 

Small freezer

any suggestion?

Just move to Russia Very Happy

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic