Chatbox

There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

mp4nation.net!??

Reply to topic

apallohadas

USA US New York
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Finally got the Onda 'Honey' this morning.

So I'm at 'work' and I'll give you my impressions working with it for the past hour.

The player by default is in English. This is good because my mandarin is bad at best and I can't read any at all. Sadly the quick guide instructions are also in chinese. The coupon however was in english, so I'll probably use that Smile

By appearance, the Honey is smaller than my blackberry pearl, but a little wider and thicker, but lighter in weight. Construction is solid with no rattling parts or cheap appearances. It looks like a small iPhone.

The Stylus will get no usage from me. The moment I touched the stylus to the plastic overlay covering the screen, it left a little dimple on the plastic shield. I prefer to leave the shield if it looks good, and the one that comes installed on the Honey looks great.

Also the Stylus looks like it comes from some PDA, the barbed end makes me think it should fit inside a shell somewhere, but since there's no opening for it on the Honey *toss* out it goes. I don't even want it in the bag with the Honey for fear of scratches.

The memory slot. Downside to the memory slot is that your memory card WILL stick out roughly 2mm from the Honey. Since I have yet to struggle through the chinese menus under settings, I haven't been able to play any of the music on the memory card. It's there, just can't navigate to it by just clicking 'music.'

Any help here would be appreciated. I bolded that part to draw attention.

The driver/software disc that comes with it is also in chinese. The first 2 items on the menu are the Avi Converter and then the firmware update software. I deduced this information by beginning the install process on my work laptop.

It's not my laptop so I really don't mind if the thing explodes in a shower of chinese writing and anime.

Anyway, installed the updater, but that doesn't seem to work. Again, it's in chinese, so it not working is probably my fault.

The third option on the installer menu is Windows Media player 10, 4th is something for windows, and 5th is the exit from the menu.

Back to the player.

Audio quality is FANTASTIC. I don't use this word lightly. I won't be doing the whole freezer trick to improve sound quality. The sound quality is very robust. If anyone else finds it less than such, get better headphones or record with a variable rate or lossless format.

Picture quality, so far, is also very good. the Jessica Simpson video (why her?) was smooth and didn't skip around. I'll see if I can move some anime from my PSP to the Honey as a test later. (I'm moving music from my PSP to the Honey as we speak. Only takes a few minutes. 5 at most.)

The radio manages to pick up the dozen oddball stations in New York. Most of them are in spanish. Don't ask me why. My mandarin is better than my spanish, but I can dance to it so I'll salsa around my office later.

That's all for now. I'll report back more after more testing.

So far, I'd give is an 8 out of 10, losing 2 only because I can't read the chinese instruction manual Wink

Download Post  No rating  
apallohadas

USA US New York
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:51 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hmm... bad news. The honey is now stuck at the boot screen that says "Onda" and it's stuck there.

Any way to shut it off or cold boot it?

Tried plugging it into my laptop to see if that did anything, held down the power switch for 20 seconds, poked the screen a few times.

Edit:

Solved a few puzzles.

There is a small hole on the right bottom side corner of the Onda Honey. This is in fact the 'reset' spot. Use a push pin or paperclip to hit that if your Honey ever freezes. (Good thing my wife didn't see that.)

In Windows, you MUST reformat your miniSD card or else you'll get my mystery freeze, which is in fact the Honey having a memory file error due to it not liking FAT. Your miniSD should be formatted to FAT32.

In order to play from the memory card: Navigate => miniSD. Otherwise the default playing is from the flash memory.

Another edit: The website says the Honey has dual headphone output. It does *NOT*.

Also the headphones that shipped with it... well one side works, other doesn't.

Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:35 am   Post subject:  Re: mp4nation.com!?? Back to top 

Nice review of the product - seems you resolved the problem you had. The dual headphones in the description is a mistake, that was in the original specs given to us, but i guess Onda removed it, i didn't even notice.

For almost the newer players you need to format the memory cards to fat32.

As for your headphones and software i will email you about that.

As for that coupon, it can be reused multiple times and can be used by anyone, so spread the love Wink

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Looks like I will order the Optimus X. Would like to get a decent case that fits it eventually...

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
jp
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:39 pm   Post subject:  Re: mp4nation.com!?? Back to top 

Buzzygirl: I have an OptimusX and if I was ordering again would get a RockChip with a removeable/replaceable battery so I could carry an extra one or two charged with me.

Download Post  No rating  
Buzzygirl
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

JP:

Where would I find a Rock Chip with a removeable battery? I know of the Omega players, but do they have removeable batteries? Which Rock Chip players would you recommend?

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
razzer001
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:24 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The ones we have that you can remove the battery are the Optimus Magnus and Cobalt - the cobalt is newer and much better, but priced higher.

I just got to play around with the latest Teclast player - the C290 - comes with a 2.8" screen - has touch sensitive buttons - but, get this - you don't need to use the buttons, as you can just move the player up, down, left and right. I thought it was pretty cool, but not exactly practical - what do you think about a player like that? 2GB player priced at about $95.

MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Just uploaded the Ainol V2000 video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDJLxGl93To

This currently is the ranking king for video/screen quality by far, more players need to have LTPS TFT Screens.

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

razzer001 wrote (View Post): ›
I just got to play around with the latest Teclast player - the C290 - comes with a 2.8" screen - has touch sensitive buttons - but, get this - you don't need to use the buttons, as you can just move the player up, down, left and right. I thought it was pretty cool, but not exactly practical - what do you think about a player like that? 2GB player priced at about $95.

That sounds interesting. I think I might look into the Optimus Magnus-- I like the idea of the removable battery, even though I generally take my power cords with me wherever I go.

Thanks for your help Razzer... be looking for an order from me shortly!

Jackie