There are 0 user(s) on chat now:

[ Login to join chat ]

AVI Converter problems

Reply to topic

Buzzygirl
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 am   Post subject:  AVI Converter problems Back to top 

I have a Rockchip player on which I have yet to be able to get videos working. I'm getting a bit frustrated with it.

I tried to AVI Converter 4.00 tool and it either gives me format error messages, or it closes down completely after giving me a "mencoder needs to be closed, sorry for the problem" message (a Windows error message). I tried converting an MPEG 1 file and it did not do anything at all, no error messages, but the progress bar didn't move. I am not sure why it did nothing.

First, I think I will try another converter. However, I also have a question about native AVIs.

I downloaded a public-domain movie last night, which is a native AVI file. I have a 2.4" screen and know the settings I'm supposed to use. So if the file's an AVI already, would I still need to run it through the converter, so my player can actually use it?

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:54 pm   Post subject:  Re: AVI Converter problems Back to top 

You need to convert due to several reasons:
1. Rockchip uses MP2 instead of MP3
2. Rockchip uses xvid instead of divx
3. Resolution that you already know 320x240
4. Frame rate which can't be above of range your player accept. Try starting with 20 fps
5. Your player could need video rotated then you need a special version of AVIConverter
The best start is when your player comes with a example video. Analysing it the rest is piece of cake.

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi,

Please read what I wrote about Rockchip movie making here:

http://www.mympxplayer.org/cannot-play-videos-on-mp4-rockchip-player-vt6733.html?highlight=xilisoft

Also, if you're using AVIconverter, it might help if you actually type .avi at the end of your movie names. e.g. it tries to create a film, let's say, called 'Movie' but the rockchip won't recognise it unless it's called 'movie.avi'

good luck!

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:08 pm   Post subject:  Re: AVI Converter problems Back to top 

Thanks, guys.

Since my computer's CD drive is broken, my son has allowed me to use his computer to download the MP4 tools that came with my player. It's an earlier version of the software; 3.0 as opposed to 4.0, which doesn't work at all. The good news is, it seems to be converting my movie now. It's at 60% progress.

Also, I'm trying to convert the same movie using the ViDrop open-sourced software on yet another computer. That seems to be working as well-- at least it is converting the movie-- not sure if the result will actually work on the player though.

I'll report back with my success, or lack thereof. I am determined to get videos working on my MP4 player!

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
Buzzygirl
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:15 pm   Post subject:  Re: AVI Converter problems Back to top 

Daremos,

Thanks very much for your great explanation on why native AVIs need to be converted in order to play on MP4 players!

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
Buzzygirl
I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well... no luck.

Both of the converted movies gave me the same "WARNING! File format error" message when I put them on my player. This, even though I used the conversion utilities that were on the disk that came with my player.

If I knew for sure that the Xilisoft program would make this thing work, I would pay for it, but given my track record of absolutely no success thus far, I'm at a loss as to why I cannot seem to get ANY video to play on my player.

Powered by Ubuntu Linux!
Download Post  No rating  
DaremoS
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous
MPx-a-lolics Anonymous

Chile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:21 pm   Post subject:  Re: AVI Converter problems Back to top 

Are u talking of playing videos in ur Optimus Magnum?
That's my old rockchip player
Then ur screen is 2.2"
so:

Video resolution 224x176 with 20 fps
Video codec: xvid
Audio codec: mp2
Audio bitrate: 128 but can be 192
Sample rate: 44.1k can be 48k

I bet u r trying 2 use 320x240 Shocked

I love my MPx player
I love my MPx player

USA US Minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:28 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yeah, because that resolution is what is advertised for my player!

I did find out by trial and error that I can play some of the sample clips I downloaded off this site at 224x176, but I still can't get my player to accept my movie when I convert it to that resolution. I'm trying yet another converter to see if I can get my movie working with the different resolution.

One thing I know for sure is that my computer does NOT like AVI Converter 4.0. Every time I try to convert anything, no matter what the resolution, the program shuts down.